General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New diet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Dec 2013 09:24

My doctor has suggested I try a Gluten, wheat and dairy free diet. So far I think I am doing okay, but the one thing I am struggling with is bread.

I have tried several supermarkets and there seems to be a reasonable selection but I think they are all taste horrible. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. I would love a bacon sandwich.

:-( :-( :-( :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2013 09:45

Newburn Bakehouse by Warburtons & DS are probably the best of the brands but you have discovered what any Coeliac will tell you - bread is just not the same.

Have you tried making your own - it is very different and easier method than ordinary bread.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Dec 2013 10:55

Gluten-free bread is very heavy, and expensive.

My brother is coeliac, it's difficult to feed him; it's surprising just how many things have wheat in them. Going out for meals (even getting a take-away) is almost impossible for him. When he goes on holiday his wife & kids head for a sandwich shop & he buys fruit.

I'm sure there are lots of websites with recipes. Maybe there's a "better" gluten-free bread that the ones I have tried.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 14 Dec 2013 11:09

Paula,

Have a look at this site.they have gluten free diets and recipes for Bread,Biscuits and meals.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-recipes.aspx?o_is=DH_4

Really good site as I use it quite frequently.

kandj

kandj Report 14 Dec 2013 12:18

Paula, my grandson has wheatfree bread which we toast lightly to make a sandwich otherwise it just crumbles. I also used to make his bread and biscuits. Good luck!

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 14 Dec 2013 14:05

Thank you everyone. I have brought some Soya bread with linseed, so will give that a try. Sue xxxx I have looked at the link and will go back to when I get time.

My problems are due to the act that I used to have a high fibre diet with lots of fruit and loads of vegetables ( which is what I was told originally), now it is very low fibre, reduced fruit and vegetables, very little dairy products its almost like starting over. :-D :-D :-D