General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My want for a second home is on hold

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 14 Dec 2013 17:39

and at the end of a pier after reading this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523474/Brits-holiday-homes-Spain-France-banned-renting-tourists.html

If they pass these laws not only will they kill some tourism in Spain but they will also shatter the housing market that is already teetering.
Already there is the second home income whether rented or not, but to put in place the rest will certainly stop me buying to let, and sadly will put a lot of holiday homes on the market.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2013 17:47

My thought when reading this Uzzi was that they would shoot themselves in the foot.

Can't understand why they would want to deter tourists which is what it will do, people won't pay to stay in hotels. They want family sized places so they can all stay together. :-S :-S

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Dec 2013 17:55

Uzzie.
I´m pretty sure it only applies if you want to let to tourists.
If you re letting to long term tenants there are different rules which don´t require that you are availble at the drop of hat for problems, have property that would rival Buck House etc.
It´s supposed to improve the quality of tourist ccommodtion, but to be honest you have to satisfy certain criteria to get licence now.
Most of the people who will suffer are the ones who are renting their properties on the "black" & not declring the income to the Hacienda.
Which is what it´s meant to do.
Nil Desperandum
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 14 Dec 2013 18:03

Ann it worries me

Wisechild buying a second property to let I would have declared but I am not going to spend out for all the bumph that they want. My idea was to rent cheap and keep it rented so it paid the bills more than gave me an income, although I would have like a small income for my labour in it.
I am not sure how they are going to react to expats letting on the long term market, or even residents buying a 2nd home.

Until they sort the laws out I will not be buying another property. well not in Spain lol
and I still have my upstairs flat which will never be offered on a website.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Dec 2013 09:52

From the article only.....

OK, it is a money making exercise for the respective Governments. But on the other hand it would mean that renters from private owners would be assured that the property is 'safe' and that (say) they aren't stuck with a blocked loo over the weekend.

There is a business opportunity here, for people who could start Property Maintenance companies who could be paid a monthly/yearly retainer + the cost of labour and materials if their services are needed.

At the bottom of the article is the sentence
"Lawmakers in Germany will vote on similar laws in the next fortnight."

Merlin

Merlin Report 15 Dec 2013 13:52

I gather France is about to do the same thing. The old Saying, Beware Spanish Practices Comes to mind,its all about money trying to boost Government Coffers.