General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has April Fools Day been brought forward ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Dec 2013 09:15

When I read this article, for a minute, I thought April Fools Day had come early, as Lord Bew, the Chairman of The Committee on Standards in Public Life, must have a very naive understanding of how devious, the minds of many of our politicians can be, especially when it comes to their personal finances ;-)

I would have thought that the so called intelligent upstanding individuals who stand for election as a Member of Parliament, already know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. If they do not, they should never have been selected to stand as a candidate in the first place, and what about the current lot, many of them will be re-elected at the next election - are we to take it they all know the difference between what is right and what is wrong?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524181/MPs-compulsory-honesty-training-learn-difference-right-wrong.html

MP's will take compulsory 'honesty training' to learn the difference between right and wrong.

New MP's are to be given lessons in ethics to reverse the ‘jaundiced’ public view of politicians.

The Commons standards watchdog has proposed the lessons in the wake of the expenses and lobbying controversies.

Courses will start after the next general election, in 2015, and aim to bolster MP's’ confidence in how to act in public office.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Dec 2013 09:32

the world's gone mad - again!!! :-S :-S

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Dec 2013 10:13

Well I certainly don't have a "jaundiced" view of the MP's .
I live in the real world not like them in Cloud Cuckoo land where they think they can fool the public into thinking the MP's can tell right from Wrong.

That's why their Halo's are round their necks choking them.

True Ann C

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Dec 2013 10:17

Sad to say. I feel that many of them don't live in the real world..........and their own morals, or lack of them decide their outlook over others.

like:
its perks of the job.........innit?

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Dec 2013 10:53

If ever there is a group of human beings who are generally regarded as pariahs in our society today, it is those called 'Politicians'.

Mind you, we elected them & history books - if they are to be believed - records similar shenanigans in many previous generations.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Dec 2013 06:33

Trouble is all get tarred with the same brush. How many really are shysters? probably not more than 5% (if you apply 95-5 rule) Maybe even less in reality but it always seems like more when you read the stories in the papers. It is all down to perception which is why this initiative isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I worked 37 years for a major high street bank - around a third of which involved working away from home. Believe me, we claimed every single penny we were entitled to by way of expenses, not a penny less. Even then it did not make up for the sacrifices involved.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 18 Dec 2013 08:30

Going by the recent disclosure regarding the clock in & clock out and pick up your £300 daily attendance allowance allegations about a member of the House of Lords, if and I say if because we only have the comments of the member concerned to go on, on his lowest figure some 6% of peers are at it and on his highest figure it is some 50% of peers that are at it.

On the subject of clocking in & clocking out, having in the past accepted invitations to both the House of Lords and the House of Commons, and seen first hand how busy the bars and restaurants are, maybe members of both houses should clock in & clock out of the bars and restaurants - the results would be very interesting ;-)