General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Employment advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Libby

Libby Report 16 Dec 2013 13:23

Think I may have got myself the "sack" yesterday and not sure where I stand.

I work four days a week and my payday is on Sunday. My employers method of payment is in cash, all above board, tax and NI payments made. This was the only payment method available to me when I started work there 3 1/2 years ago.

Yesterday, there was not enough cash in the safe to pay me my full wages, £110 short. Was told I would have to wait until my next shift (Tuesday) for the rest. This was not convenient for me as I was supposed to finish my Christmas shopping today and I only had just over £8 in cash left from last weeks wages. My boss refused to go to an ATM, over the road, for the balance of my wages.

To be honest. I "saw my backside" and told him that in that case I was going home.
This was 30 minutes before the end of my shift.

He was in a snippy mood all day, apparently had been the same on Saturday. I had been walking on egg shells all day and this was the last straw.

Have I shot myself in the foot because I couldn't keep my mouth shut? :-0

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Dec 2013 13:33

Have a look at the link below, there is a pdf file you can download for more details:-

If you don't get paid or you are paid late

If you don't get paid, or you're paid late, this also counts as a deduction from wages. Your employer may be breaking the law.

To find out more about what you can do in this situation, see Employer withholds your pay [Adobe Acrobat Document 40 KB].

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/life/employment/rights_to_pay.htm#h_if_you_dont_get_paid_or_you_are_paid_late

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Dec 2013 14:25

Get yourself down the Citizens Advice Bureau as they should have someone that can help with this

Good luck

Libby

Libby Report 16 Dec 2013 14:29

Thanks OneFootInTheGrave. Have read the link and this confirms what I thought about non/short payment of wages.

The bit that worries me though is the fact that I went home before the end of my shift.

I do work in retail but till / stock shortages are not an issue.

Oh well, if he does sack me it will leave him with no staff. There was three of us until a week ago. One left because she moved out of the area, the other one is handing her notice in after New Year.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 16 Dec 2013 14:42

You need to find out if he has sacked you, if he has, then as GlitterBaby said - get in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau, they have people who deal with employment issues who can help you - Good Luck

Libby

Libby Report 16 Dec 2013 16:51

Thanks Glitterbaby and OneFootInTheGrave. I will know tomorrow when I turn up for my shift.

If he has sacked me then I will probably have to wait until the New Year before I can get an appointment with the CAB. Our local one is open one day per week and is by appointment only. Oh well, at least he will owe me three weeks holiday pay.

Merlin

Merlin Report 17 Dec 2013 14:38

Do you have a "Contract of Employment"? If not you should have.