General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Dec 2013 23:45

I was using it an hour ago.

Now I get this message:

503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request.

I tried typing familysearch.org in the URL and got this:

Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser

I rebooted, and got the same messages.

How can things like this happen within an hour????????

I'm using Firefox

Any suggestions?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Dec 2013 00:01

Just tried typing "familysearch.org" in the address line and got through all right - using Firefox

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Dec 2013 00:08

I fiddled with it for a while.

Couldn't update firefox (probably got the latest).

Updated Microsoft, got a message, something about it not being a valid path ( ? ), but it seems to be working OK now.

XP won't be supported after April next year. waaaaaaaah! I really don't want to use the new version of Windows.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Dec 2013 00:20

It is possible to update XP to 7, OH has just had this done. Our guru said my XP was too old for this - then it packed up anyway and he got me a barely used 7 which is fine. I understand here in UK it is almost impossible to buy a new computer with Windows 7 installed.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Dec 2013 02:01

I tried to update to W7 some time ago, and it didn't work.

OH got a new computer almost a year ago, got W7. I don't think W7 is available at all in Oz now. I took some classes on W8 early this year, didn't like it at all. I think Micr*s*ft have shot themselves in the foot.

I'll use my dinosaur until it won't play any more :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Dec 2013 08:49

From April 2014 Microsoft are withdrawing support for XP ... that means bug fixes and security. It does not mean that it won't work or you cannot do a new install - the activation service will continue.

If a system is using Microsoft Security ( AV & FIrewall ) then it will have to be disabled and replaced with one of the many alternative products and that's it.

XP SP2/3 will run fine on most computers made up to 2009 (2014 for Win7) and sometimes later. Although it is difficult to buy a new system running XP or WIn7 there are plenty of new motherboards around for £ 30-75 even in Oz. New Win7 OS is available on eBay for approx 70.

An alternative approach is to run Linux (free). Suse Linux for instance is a whole lot nearer to WinXP for the end user than Win8.

Both WIndows 7 and Linux can run XP as a guest OS provided that there is at least 2 GB memory. This can be very useful.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2013 08:51

I had to change to Firefox to use it