General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Licence records for Kent, 1915 to 1920

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 17 Dec 2013 15:48

I purchased a Marriage Cert. but find that I require more information, eg. Parents of the Bride and Groom.
Would this information be recorded on the Marriage Licence, and if so is the licence available from the relevant Church?

Ron J

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Dec 2013 15:57

A standard English Marriage Cert. has columns on it for the father of both bride and groom (not mother), and their occupations. What is in these columns on the cert. you have bought?

I don't know what info is required for a licence, but I wouldn't think it had more info than the certificate. Someone else on here can probably help with that one.

jax

jax Report 17 Dec 2013 16:43

What are you trying to find? can you give some details of the marriage cert

You also have to remember people lied about their fathers if they didn't know them...rather than say 'Not known'

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2013 17:53

Although this may refer only to earlier Licences, it does give some insight into their use

From the City of London Archives
http://tinyurl.com/oav47jl

A marriage license was issued only after a written allegation of intention to marry was
made by the prospective bride or bridegroom (or by their representative), giving their
parishes and their approximate ages and stating that there was no legal impediment to
the marriage. It is the allegation which should be sought when evidence of the issuing
of a licence is required, since the allegations were usually retained by the issuing
authority, while the licences themselves, having been shown to the person who was to
conduct the marriage ceremony, were not preserved systematically and rarely survive.

For the period you are considering, it could be that they weren't able to wait for the 4 weeks of Banns/Notice normally in place. this could be because the Groom was a serviceman on leave, or they wanted to legitimatise an anticipated birth.

Earlier Licences, shown on Ancestry, don't give details of the father (English/Welsh ones never mention the mother)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Dec 2013 17:09

Are the names of their fathers recorded?
We might be able to work something out given a few more clues.

Whereabouts was the marriage and were their addresses shown?

Gwyn

Ron

Ron Report 19 Dec 2013 12:33

My late wife's paternal grandfather Robert Simmons, b1891, was suspected of being a bigamist. I am trying to find proof.
My wife's grandmother Ada Byard married Robert Simmons, (aged 26) on April 27 1916, Holy Trinity, Eltham, by Licence. Robert's address was given as 5, Footscray Road .Father's name was George Ernest Simmons, Bricklayer, (deceased). There were no other Simmons relatives mentioned on the Certificate.
Ada later gave birth to a daughter in October 1916.
I also found a marriage between Robert Percival Simmons, aged 25, and Dorothy Reely aged 22. They were married in the Church of the Good Shepherd, Lee - November 18 1916, (the same year). Robert P was in the R.N.A.S. (a clerk).
Both were living at No. 50, Effingham Road,
Robert P Simmons died in 1929, aged 38 years, leaving a daughter and two sons.
My wife was the eldest in her family but knew very little about her paternal grandfather and very little was passed on by her parents.
I have had some information from Ada's daughter (also Ada) born in 1932 that Robert married his second wife in a church " just down the road from Eltham".

Hoping you are able to help,

Ron Jarvis

I live in Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Dec 2013 13:53

Probate

Simmons Robert Percival of 53 Hastings Road Maidstone Kent died 1st May 1929. Probate London to Dorothy Maud Elizabeth Simmons, widow.

Effects £2831.9s 8d

EDIT *** he was born in 1891

SIMMONS, Robert Percival
Registration district: [?] Bromley
County: Kent
Year of registration: 1891
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911
Q3Volume no:[?]2APage no:[?]459

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Dec 2013 14:03

1911 for reference

Person: SIMMONS, Robert Percivel Address: 2 Woodside Crescent Longland Sidcup Kent
Cost

Name Relation Condition /
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where born Image
SIMMONS, George Head Widower M 60 1851 Carpenter And Joiner Bexley Heath Kent VIEW
SIMMONS, Robert Percivel Son Single M 20 1891 Clerk Sidcup Kent VIEW
WILLIAMS, Harriet Housekeeper Single

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Dec 2013 14:20

I think that in 1901 Robert is listed as Percy in 1891 he is aged 0 and he hasn't got a name

Search criteria used

Person: SIMMONS, Bertha Address: 2, Priestlands Crescent, Foots Cray
Cost

You will be charged 5 credits for a record and 5 credits for an image, unless you have purchased a subscription for this set of records.
refine search back to 1901 census search resultsBack to all search results
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation
Disability Where born Image
SIMMONS, George Head Married M 54 1847 Carpenter
Bexley Heath, Kent VIEW
SIMMONS, Charlotte Wife Married F 56 1845
Scrub Wood, Buckinghamshire VIEW
SIMMONS, Bertha Daughter Single F 12 1889
Sidcup, Kent VIEW
SIMMONS, Percy Son Single M 10 1891
Sidcup, Kent VIEW

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 19 Dec 2013 14:22

Ron...Have you tried looking in the 1901 & 1911 censuses for these names.......for parents names etc....... Maybe 2 seperate branches of the same family,,,,,,??

Would look for you but don't have access at the moment.

Oops beaten to the suggestion

Ron

Ron Report 19 Dec 2013 16:24

Thank you to everyome who have answered my call for help.
I am grateful and overwhelmed by your interest and the information I have received in such a short time.
I have assumed that Robert P Simmons did marry Ada Byard and Dorothy Reely
in1916 and have since traced his paternal Simmons family in Kent and Sussex and his maternal White family to Norfolk.
His father George married Elizabeth White in 1867 - Sidcup, Kent. Elizabeth was born1839-Gressenhall, Norfolk. She died in 1888.
In 1891, George married Elizabeth's sister, Charlotte White, b1845 - Old Buckenham, Norfolk. Charlotte died in 1906.
I have traced the White family back to Elizabethan times in Norfolk but am frustrated that I am unable to find information on events that occured less than 100 years ago.

Ron

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 19 Dec 2013 20:37

Would be worth buying the other marriage cert, the one for Dorothy and Robert to see if his fathers details match up?