General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IS'NT IT HARD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 19 Dec 2013 20:36

CHOOSING PAINT FOR THE LOUNGE
(FRONT ROOM TO YOU AND ME)
WE HAVEN'T DECORATED APART FROM SLAPPING
THE SAME COLOUR ON
FOR YEARS,SO NEW YEAR I WANT NEW COLOUR,
GOT ALL THE PAINT CHARTS
BUT WHAT GOES WITH WHAT ,WHAT COLOUR FOR
FEATURE WALL AND WHAT ONES ARE THE FEATURE WALLS.

IT S LIKE DRINKING SLUSH PUPPY QUICK
GIVES YOU BRAIN FREEZE.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 19 Dec 2013 20:57

If you can tell me what a feature wall is, Dizzi, I will be happy to offer advice! :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Dec 2013 22:40

Have found out that a very very pale grey does not show dirt etc and lasts, lightens a room and goes with anything. Dining room last painted about 10 years ago and looks like new.

Do you need a feature wall?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Dec 2013 22:51

Chrisofwessex, I have very very grey paint on the walls of my bedroom and it is exactly as you say, looks clean and fresh all the time.
Edit. Can't even see the cobwebs ;-)

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 19 Dec 2013 22:52

I have a lot of grey - but then I was in the Navy and had the key to the paint store :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Dec 2013 22:53

LOL Staffs col.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Dec 2013 23:10

ZZzzz - just dawned on me - we had new bathroom installed and that was 8 years ago so diningroom is more than 10 years!!!

The walls are half tiled and the walls are - you've guessed it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Dec 2013 00:29

After grey, pink, yellow green, I've settled for magnolia downstairs.
It's a neutral background to the 'stuff' I have, and as all rooms lead into another, ha a 'theme'.
Upstairs went through many colours, including my eldest painting her bedroom deepest purple :-|
Now the children have left, it's white in all the bedrooms. :-D

Though, I've read that, if you have a lot of shadows in a room, grey is best.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Dec 2013 20:01

Deepest purple reminds me of when we moved to a flat in 1980, one bedroom was painted purple with a purple carpet, they didn't wait for the white gloss paint to dry on the skirting board before putting the carpet down, there was a lot of it left on there when they lifted said carpet. The wallpaper in the kitchen was stuck on with........gloss paint.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Dec 2013 21:37

We go to Brewers and look at their paint colour swatches .

When we have picked possible contenders we go back and get tester cans made up and then paint small sections on the walls to see how the colour is when dry .

We prefer to get the made up colours rather than those already made up as the range is bigger and getting tester sample mean you dont waste money on getting a colour you hate when its done

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Dec 2013 22:46

I have Magnolia on 3 walls with a burgundy flowered wallpaper on the feature wall.

Think of pale walls and set it off with soft furnishings in a contrasting colour.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Dec 2013 23:32

........or in my case - contrasting 'stuff' :-(