General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Remembering the 270 people who died

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 21 Dec 2013 06:31

To the memory of all those who died in the Lockerbie Disaster 25 years ago today <3

On the evening of the 21st December 1988, Pan American Flight 103 bound for New York, was blown out of the sky by a terrorist bomb and crashed onto the Scottish town of Lockerbie, killing all 259 passengers and 11 people on the ground.

I drove past Lockerbie a few days after this happened and when I saw the devastation I was visibly shaken.

May the 270 people who died on that terrible day R.I.P. - My thoughts and prayers today go out to their family and friends and the people of Lockerbie <3

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Dec 2013 08:05

One of the most horrifying and cowardly acts in my lifetime. I am sure very many will be thinking of those innocent people on the plane and those on the ground 25 years ago today.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Dec 2013 09:22

Such an horrific event.
So many lives were taken and dreams and hopes shattered that awful day.

I didn't know any personally, but often think of them all when I visit family graves in Hampshire and see the stone in remembrance of a young couple who died together at Lockerbie.

Gwyn

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 21 Dec 2013 14:49

Just watched the memorial & wreath laying service at Lockerbie - very moving and poignant.

It must have been a very difficult day for all the family, friends, and people of Lockerbie who paid tribute today to all those who died.

R.I.P. the 270 people who died on that terrible day <3

Jane

Jane Report 21 Dec 2013 15:27

I remember that day so well.Seeing the News and trying desperately to get in touch with my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Lockerbie.Needless to say I couldn't ,so rang another Uncle in Moffat.He had set off to try and get to Lockerbie .He had to abandon his car and walked several miles to see if his sister (my Aunt was safe).Thank god they were,but discovered the next day they had lost several people they knew very well.
My thoughts are with all of those who lost loved ones on that terrible day <3

kandj

kandj Report 21 Dec 2013 20:01

We also watched the news report and wreath laying in Lockerbie. A really sad day today and it's so hard to believe that it is 25 years since this tragic event took place.

Thinking now of the 270 people who lost their lives and have left behind family and friends who will grieve for their loved ones each and every day.