General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

make sure all your doors are locked

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 22 Dec 2013 09:54

hi all

early hours of friday morning someone got into the house and stole somethings

own fault really unlocked my front door which we dont use much and forgot to lock it again

didnt take that much its just that someone got into my house so please be very careful and remember to lock everything

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2013 10:41

So sorry to hear this. You must feel 'violated' that someone has invaded your personal space gone through your belongings.

Unfortunately, Christmas seems to be one of the peak times for burglaries - possibly the 'have nots' wanting to take advantage of those who 'have'?

Here's hoping that the insurance can replace the items stolen, and that you can still have an enjoyable Christmas

Iris

Iris Report 22 Dec 2013 10:44

littlelegs ,
are you all o/k , things like that can really shake you up . iris

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2013 10:55

Sorry to hear that. It really gets me that people are going round in the night trying doors to see if they are unlocked. I hope they didn't get anything of great value and that you7 will soon recover from the experience. <3

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 22 Dec 2013 11:13

hi all

we are all ok

daughter got jewelery for 18 birthday which as been took

but main thing is that we are all ok

thank you have a great christmas i am going to :-D :-D :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 22 Dec 2013 11:21

What a terrible experience, glad to read you are all ok, it is scary that people are going round during the night trying peoples doors.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Dec 2013 11:29

Most domestic locks can be picked in < 1 minute. Fortunately most of the hoodies haven't got a clue. Prime target is car keys.

So ....

fit decent 7 lever locks don't rely on the usual junk; enable dead lock at night
fit a decent chain, make sure it cannot rip out with a few kicks on the door, USE IT!
never leave car keys anywhere obvious e.g. hanging on a hook nr the door / kitchen etc.

It may seem obvious but it is not a lot of use having the front door secure and simple keys for back door, conservatory etc.

Proximity lighting is not at all expensive and will scare away a lot of scallywags. CCTV is now cheap too or just fit a dummy camera with the lights.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Dec 2013 12:01

sis in law had good locks on sturdy front & back doors............ then got an awful shock when she realised the laundry door (with a deadlock) was a flimsy affair! That has now been replaced with a good sturdy door.

We have deadlocks on sturdy doors and security doors.

Locks on windows too, but that doesn't stop someone smashing a window.

:-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Dec 2013 12:10

we'd just had new double glazed windows fitted - hadn't even paid for them - when someone got in our house by removing the whole window!!! fortunately my husband got up to use the bathroom and they must have been scared off - when he came down in the morning they had the TV and remote ready to remove - they caught the guy - when I asked for his name the PC asked why I wanted to know. I said I was sure he'd want to know if someone broke into his house. He gave me the name and the area where he lived, so I asked if he had ever worked for a double glazing company - "Worked?" said the PC, never done a day's work in his life - spent most of his time in prison

I now have a burglar alarm :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 22 Dec 2013 12:12

there has been a spate of burglarys around here the last few weeks,
and a few walk in oppontunist theives, a friend 2 days ago went upstairs with her son to put his bath on n they walked in n took his ipod of the arm of the sofa,

its awful people work hard for things n low lives think they can just walk in n take stuff :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2013 12:24

They see it as a legitimate way of Christmas shopping. In our village thieves broke into a secure garage where the presents were stored for a toddlers party. The owner is a child minder. I hope they thought they had vakluables when what they had was little lego packs etc. Unfortunately the poor lady found that the venue for the party was double booked. One of the mothers got 'working' and the local community centre let them have a room half price, which a local builder paid and all the local businesses bought new presents so the children still had their party despite the low life who took their presents. There are some horrible people around these days.

kandj

kandj Report 22 Dec 2013 12:31

What a nasty experience. These sneak thieves are scum. It's not just what they take it is the fact that they have come into your home and invaded your space.

Yesterday I was speaking to a young man who was livid that thieves had ripped his utility door off and entered his house in the afternoon and left with his children's Christmas presents, which were all wrapped and placed underneath the tree.
The family had gone out but had left the tree lights on and the window
blinds open........... he won't be so careless a second time!

ann

ann Report 22 Dec 2013 13:57

I just know the feeling after being burgled in August. I had my car stolen and hubbies van keys were taken. Did not bother having cctv installed as you have to have a sticker in your window to say you have it. With everyone nowadays wearing hoodies it would be a waste of money.Have not got a alarm yet as we have a dog that could set it off. We are looking at a wireless one and one where we can turn off a room where the dog is ,which means shutting the dog up instead of her having the run of the house. The best thing I have found where I can sleep of a night is stairgates. I prop one up against the front door and one up against the back door. I have no carpet but amtico flooring. Can you imagine the noise of that crashing down in the middle of the night. I think that may wake my neighbours as well. Someone has been arrested for my car but on bail to Jan. They were caught on cctv in petrol station filling it up as I had left it empty. At least you were unharmed x

Mersey

Mersey Report 22 Dec 2013 14:03

Ickle legs <3 <3 <3 I have just read this and sending you and yours hugs im so sorry to hear this....Hope you really are ok <3 <3

jax

jax Report 22 Dec 2013 14:24

Not a very nice thing to happen, but I assume you had a pull down handle on the front door?

I lived in a shared house with 3 men once and it would worry the life out of me that they didn't lock the door when they went off to work before me (I didn't start until lunchtime)

On the other hand I wouldn't like to live like my parents so many locks and bolts on the door if anything happened it would be difficult to gain entry...wouldn't mind they don't live in an area that is known for break ins.

When I lived in a pub we were broken into twice and both times the windows had bolts going through them......if they want to get in they will unfortunatly

Fly

Fly Report 22 Dec 2013 14:43

Littlelegs <3 <3 <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2013 14:50

Jax does have a point about too much security.

In the case of a fire in the middle of the night - would you be able to find the keys and unlock everything while in a flat panic or have poor visibility from the smoke?

Similarly, if an older or disabled person uses a personal alarm, would a keyholder responder have to kick the door in?

Some locks, if dead bolted from the inside can't even be opened from the outside with a key......which is why father in law told off his wife when he was stranded on the doorstep!