General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm fed up with it now!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 15:40

The wind has been constantly growling down the chimney since Wednesday evening - apart from a respite yesterday - and I've had enough :-| :-| :-| Give me silence!!!

Tried lighting the fire on Saturday - but the normally excellent 'pull' of the chimney couldn't take the downward force of the wind - and it kept belching smoke into the house :-| :-| :-|

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Dec 2013 16:15

I HAVE THE LETTERBOX CONTINUING RATTLE,
VENT IN BATHROOM CLATTER,AS VENT FROM TUMBLE DRYER,
AND VARIOUS NOISES FROM DOWN THE CHIMNEY AND THATS LOUD,

Happy Christmas

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 16:22

Maddening, isn't it :-S

Need to shove some stuff in the shed - not sure I can make it that far before I get drenched.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 23 Dec 2013 16:39

I had two strings of led lights threaded along the shipping rope in the garden this morning.

They are not there now!

:-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 16:45

Aww Prickly :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2013 16:49

look out of the window PH and see if you can see them glowing. :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 23 Dec 2013 18:05

I thought that Ann........i thought how funny it would be to see them glowing from the washing line or something. :-D

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough light today to charge them up.

:-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Dec 2013 20:32

Aw maggie, know how you feel, i have that constantly and yes even though im use to it, it really gets on my nerves.

one year it was so windy, it blew the water in the toilet up the way and flooded the bathroom!! siiting on the loo was like using a bidet lol.

Ph our neighbour boasted one year about their lovely outdoor tree with lights and how good it looked and i said we shall see in the morning! of course a storm came and the tree was no more!

Wonder where your lights are now PH

Take care all
Florence
in the hebrides :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 23 Dec 2013 21:48

I too know how you all feel.
We have had high winds almost every night for almost 2 weeks.
My rotary clothes line was destroyed on the first night of the gales.

It's now the air vents on our patio doors that blow open (inwards) every 5minutes.
It's our living room and I haven't yet found anything that keeps them closed
Neither tape or blue tack works very well! Will use duck tape only as a last resort!

I also had new outdoor decorations and lights all all planned and ready.
2 potted trees with lights to sit either side of the front door and lovely icicle lights to hang around the newly decked area at the back

I never got round to putting any outside decs up. It was just too windy.
One family resorted to taking theirs down within a day or so.( Not a bad thing coz they were soooo O.T.T)

I have just noticed that the house directly opposite no longer has a TV arial... just pole left on their roof. LOL

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 23:12

I didn't mind it when I lived in the Shetlands. I think, being a single storey house, the wind never reverberated quite so much down the chimney.
Mind you, I never had a TV then. Trying to watch digital TV with a wind blowing is torture - not that there's much on.

I've lost an old towel I use to dry the floor, from the washing line.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Dec 2013 02:39

It's really fierce here too, in Norwich. The garden gate, which needs repair, has bene blowing open so often even tho I have been out to bolt it, so I have propped it open now. The noise would have disturbed neighbours. A white Ronald McDonald balloon on a stick appeared earlier in the evening, we stuck it in a flower tub but I can see it now stuck in the jasmine bush.

I really hate this kind of weather, it's blowing the rain sideways and tubs have blown over too.

Not at all seasonal and Santa will be blown off course if the wind continues tonight.

Take care everyone and hope you don't get damage to your homes and property etc

Lizx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Dec 2013 07:04

A really wild night down here near the Channel coast and fierce strong winds blowing constantly throughout.

The car-port is lying in a heap, so nobody can get in or out of the house, but that will have to wait until it is safer to get out there in daylight.
Luckily OH had moved the car across the road yesterday evening, when we could hear so many groans, bangs and creaks and we thought the wheelie bin would be blown on to it..Never imagined the whole carport would be lifted off and it's thick beam structure would be broken though.

But we're all safe and that's all that matters really.

Gwyn

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Dec 2013 07:51

Florence - sitting on the loo was like using a bidet, too much information :-D :-D :-D

Enjoy today and tomorrow as there are more gales and rain forecast for Thursday & Friday :-(

Another spell of stormy weather is expected to affect many areas, winds increasing later on Boxing Day but likely to peak during Friday. Gusts of 70-80 mph are possible especially in exposed parts of the west and south. Spells of heavy rain can also be expected, including areas that remain saturated from rainfall earlier in the week.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2013 09:15

Gwyn - that was lucky (OH moving car).
Daughter had a tree land on her car yesterday - but as she said - she was lucky it was a small one and most of the weight was on the roof rack. She managed to push it off and went to the garage for some fuel. She noticed leaves & twigs in the radiator etc and was a bit embarrassed by the small pile of tree she left on the forecourt!!

This morning, I awoke to SILENCE :-D :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Dec 2013 10:33

Maggie
I'm glad your daughter was safe and could still use her car.
. The silence is most weird after such wildness.

Someone near here has an individual wind turbine thingy in their back garden. It's hardly moving...........or is it worn out.?

Carport is now stowed in the back garden. There is not a large gap between us and our neighbour, but somehow the wind lifted the whole structure, turned it 90 degrees and dropped it again. Alot seems to be intact, but we'll deal with that another day...........

Gwyn

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 Dec 2013 12:19

OH!
I am so excited.....

It's Christmas Eve and..... it's snowing here.
( well so far, just light flakes but it's definitely snow) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D