General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 22:36

Do cats make life so difficult?
I've just found my bedroom, after trying to move stuff from one room to the other.
I'm totally 'doing out' one room, and need to move stuff from room A to room B - but had to clear room B a bit - hence it ended up in my bedroom, as did the 2 mattresses that are currently normally 'living' on the landing - I have yet to make the flat pack bed.
I needed to move 2 chests of drawers from room A, avoiding the folded up bed/settee and the shelving unit that I've taken to pieces that is now lying on the floor - both waiting for when my brother next goes from London to Somerset. Hopefully he can pick them up on his way back to London and deliver them to my daughter in Worthing.
Anyhow, Betty decided the best place to sleep was in the doorway of room A. I moved her, but as soon as I started lifting the chest - she was back. In the end I gave up, rushing upstairs when she came downstairs - that was twice - this evening :-|
Once I was in bedroom B with the chests, George appeared - he had to inspect the gap I was going to put them in, felling the pile of books next to me, which I had to pick up before I could position the chest of drawers. I was dreading the power going - to be left in the dark with 'things' everywhere would have been awkward to say the least. :-S

Huia

Huia Report 23 Dec 2013 22:42

Start talking to them about a visit to the vet. That might make them go into hiding elsewhere. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2013 23:06

I tried being 'nasty' and hissed - but she just gave that HUGE eyed questioning look........ and that made me feel guilty. I tried shouting - and swore quite a bit, but she didn't move.
I don't give them treats, so that wouldn't have worked.

Now I'm on the computer, she's here too :-|

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Dec 2013 23:25

they're spies - didn't you realise that :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2013 00:20

:-D :-D

Do you mean, when they walk over the keyboard, they're typing in code :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Dec 2013 00:55

something like that - they can be very sly :-D

mine tends to hide somewhere around the house - God knows where, and then he suddenly appears

Annina

Annina Report 24 Dec 2013 13:51

Think youself lucky,I have just been given an emergency tetanus and a course of antibiotics after being soundly bitten by one of my ferals.

This particular cat suddenly decided,after years of scoffing food put out for them,that he needed a cuddle. He dashed into the house about six weeks ago and launched his considerable self onto my knee,so I naturally gave him the attention he craved. After about an hour he decided that enough was enough and soundly bit and scratched my arm,ungrateful sod.

Anyway,I hoped that I could tame him in order to find him a home (I have five house cats already and oh put his foot down ,can't keep adopting stray cats) I thought that things were going well until yesterday teatime he casually turned round and sunk his teeth into my wrist right to the bone.

This morning my arm looks like a red melon and hurts like h**l,so off to the doctor I traipsed.

Why do we love them,WHY. :-( :-( :-(

Oh,and to add insult to injury,I can't have anything with milk in it with my antibiotics,at Christmas for heavens sake!! No cream on the pud. Fed up!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 24 Dec 2013 13:59

They have,nt Obviously got you Fully Trained :-D :-D When they have, you will just ignore these little Foibles they have :-D as servantsand Serfs do. :-D :-DHappy Christmas Maggie. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2013 14:06

Oooh - sounds painful! :-0
Has he got a sore spot?
My sister's cat is like that. You go to stoke her, and she bites - not THAT hard - but the intention isn't friendly . :-| When the grandchildren go to my sister's, she has to lock said cat in the bedroom. I accidently let her out once, and she went downstairs. Without thinking, I picked her up and tucked her under my arm. (picking her up is definitely a no-no) Halfway up the stairs, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, that she was about to strike. I quickly put my hand on her chest to stop her - she was livid!!

My three have never knowingly 'gone' for anyone, though Betty spat at my youngest grandson once, when she was balanced on the back of a chair and he thought it would be a good idea to push it around.

This doesn't mean I'm scratch free. Mister (with unretractable claws) regularly sits behind me when I'm on the computer and, to get my attention, rakes his claws over my upper arm.
Betty has left a mass of pinpricks over my back.
I was on the floor, leaning over (putting a flatpack together) when she decided to jump on my back and paddle like mad :-0 She really, really didn't want to get off.

Annina

Annina Report 25 Dec 2013 12:39

Oh ,Maggie,I would love to have seen that. Reminds me of an incident last summer,one night I heard a kerfuffle in the garden,looked out to see one of my gingers riding rodeo on the back of a fox,who was leaping over a low ornamental wall towards the house.

My cat had every claw available embedded in Foxy's back and wouldn't be shaken off. If you have visiting fox's in your garden,don't worry about your cats,they definately have the upper hand.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Dec 2013 12:48

last year my friend had to have her cat put down - he attacked her twice leaving dreadful scars - not a feral - but obviously had some underlying problems

she'll have the scars for life

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Dec 2013 20:21

Ann, that's terrible. I suppose animals can get dementia and suffer head traumas we know nothing about, that can change their personality.
The back feet of cats can cause terrible injuries.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Dec 2013 22:41

he was a stunning looking cat but was trouble almost from day one - she did well to keep him for as long as she did - she has a beautiful house and he stripped most of the wallpaper off so in the end she had it all removed and had the walls emulsioned instead. He broke many valuable ornaments - I'd have had to get rid sooner but she loved him to bits. First time he attacked her, out of the blue, he damaged her arm, but the second time a few weeks later he really let rip and tore her arm and hand to pieces - she had to have antibiotics and her GP wanted her to go the casualty. She called me over in tears - her husband was away - she called the vet to put him down and it took five jabs of the stuff they give them before they could administer the final one that euthanased him. It was a horrible experience all round.

She vowed never to have another cat, and then about two days later a gorgeous cat turned up on her doorstep and she fell in love with it - she found the owner who said she could keep that cat if she wanted, so she did. This one is a gentle female - a lap cat . All is well at last :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Dec 2013 00:13

He sounds a rogue :-|
I had a huge ginger (neutered) tom once who I caught raking the wallpaper behind a door that was always open. I don't have a beautiful house, and he was having such a good time, I just tutted. He only did it behind open doors - I found out later.
My current cats destroy wicker chairs. In 7 years, with 3 cats, I'm on chair number 2 (number 1 is in the garden now), so they're not too bad - much cheaper than the sofa, which still bears scars from previous cats.
I find people don't tend to tell cats off.
Whicker chairs aside, mine don't claw carpets/rugs, and aren't allowed on worktops. They're siblings, but aren't particularly 'cuddly' to each other - they tend to sleep in different rooms, but they aren't allowed to scrap, neither are they allowed to spit.

They're not pack animals, but they know who provides the food - ME- therefore I'm boss. Having said that, Betty HATES being picked up - but would never 'go' for me when I DO pick her up (she looks very cuddly, very small with long fur). She puts her paws on my chest and moves as far away from me as she can. When I put her down, she doesn't run off, she meows, rubs herself against me and wants attention!!!

As a child, we had a cat that was very aggressive. Only dad and I felt 'comfortable' with her. (that means mum and my 3 elder siblings used to avoid her) I still have a scar on my arm from her. But then, I used to dress her up in dolls clothes, and put her in my doll's pram :-S
She used to hide in bushes, jump out on you and climb your legs - using her claws.

Just changed my profile pic - I gave this boy a cuddle too :-D