General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not like me at all, but

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2013 16:45

I shall be glad to see the back of this Christmas somehow. Nothing went * 'wrong' but then again nothing really went 'right' lol.

edited because I can't type lol... *."wromg" ?!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Dec 2013 16:46

<3 <3

Sending some good vibes to help I hope

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2013 16:52

Thankyou Shirley :-) <3

I think it is just that I have been providing 'tea and sympathy' to some very depressed people and it has rubbed off on me, combined with not spending as much time as I would have liked to today with my brother :-(

**shakes myself and says "pull yourself together Rose" lol.

J* Near M3.Jct4

J* Near M3.Jct4 Report 27 Dec 2013 17:00

Take care ~~~~~~~ to RR & D :-)

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 27 Dec 2013 17:05

Christmas not good for me either really, Mum has got dementia so it was a struggle just to get through the day - take care all <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2013 17:24

~~~~ back to J :-)

Sorry to hear that Col, and a salutary lesson in why I shouldn't be grumbling! :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 27 Dec 2013 17:33

l we had the most fantastic Christmas
Baby Satan got everything he dreamed of and much more
his smiles made our day

sorry some of you didn't enjoy your Christmas time :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Dec 2013 17:34

I'm glad you all had a great time Joy :-D

Frederick

Frederick Report 27 Dec 2013 17:56

Sheer Bliss, no more Christmas music for at least 9 months, if I hear Wizards
" I wish it was Christmas every Day" once more, I'll be putting a spell on him. !!!!!
:-S :-S :-S. F.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 27 Dec 2013 17:57

*gives Rose a sharp pull yourself together shake*

There, is that better Rose :-) <3

Col.......a big <3 to you as I know how hard having a Mum with dementia is. love her while you have her and remember that the Mum you love is still there somewhere. xx

Joy..............I am so pleased your Christmas was lovely, ours was too, we raised a glass to toast the 3 who are in heaven and made it as happy as possible for those of us left behind :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Dec 2013 18:13

Sorry it was below par for you Rose. And so sorry about your Mum Col.

Our Christmas day was lovely but Boxing day was up and down, trouble with sharing it with a teenager and an 11 year old girl with 'hormones'. Still it was lovely to be with them and I have to say my son's 89 year old mother in law puts us to shame. all 4ft11inches of her, she is sprightly and cheerful and loves her food. Hope I am like that.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 27 Dec 2013 18:41

Not great here either - think some things are going to have to change next year :-(

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy 2014 <3

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 27 Dec 2013 19:23

RR..Just a little tune to cheer you up and anyone else who has had a bit of a rotten Christmas.

As performed in the 1985 London Revival of "Me And My Girl":

(The sun has got his hat on, hip-hip-hip-hooray)
(The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today)
(Now we'll all be happy, hip-hip-hip-hooray)

He's been roasting peanuts out in Timbuctoo
Now he's coming back to do the same for you
So jump into your sunbath, hip-hip-hip-hooray!
The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today

Joy bells are ringing, the songbirds are singing
And everyone's happy and gay
Dull days are over, we'll soon be in clover
So pack all your troubles away

The sun has got his hat on, hip-hip-hip-hooray!
The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today
(Now we'll all be happy, hip-hip-hip-hooray!)

All the little boys excited, all the little girls delighted
What a lot of fun for everyone, sitting in the sun all day
(The sun has got his hat on, hip-hip-hip-hooray)

(Orchestral Interlude / Dance Routine)

(One-two, a-one-two-three-four)
(So jump into your sunbath, hip-hip-hip-hooray!)

And we are 2 days nearer to Spring.. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 27 Dec 2013 19:31

Sorry you didnĀ“t have a good time Rose,

Col I actually worked Xmas out for my mother with dementia and she died before I could give her Xmas with me. I do feel for you though because I know I would have been at screaming point by about 10am !!! I also envy you because at least your Mum was there.

So I spent Xmas as I always do and that is waiting for OH to finish work have dinner, play, go to bed. I did notice 3 missing phone calls, My Dad died 2006, my Mum died 2013 my step mum ...still alive :-0

Rose enjoy New Year

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Dec 2013 03:22

Uzzi, I knew it would be a mix of emotions for you at Christmas but you have got through it and you have your o.h. with you when he's not working so not all bad eh?

Col, I feel for you coping with your Mum's dementia, I am worried that my o.h. is going that way, altho at the mo he is still working, he is getting worried himself but won't see the doctor. I keep telling him the sooner he is checked out, the sooner help can be given and the earlier the better the results.

Rose, your Christmas might not have been as relaxing and joyful as you would want, but pat yourself on the back for providing tea and sympathy for those in need and give yourself a little treat now to reward yourself and bring some cheer to your life again.

All the best to you all for the New Year, try and make time for yourselves to recharge your batteries.

Lizxx

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 28 Dec 2013 06:40

Liz, Get your OH to see his GP - there is medication available that helps in about a third of cases once he has been diagnosed - Mum wasn't suitable for it though which was a bit of a blow.

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts - Mum has good and bad days, unfortunately as with many dementia sufferers anything out of their normal routine makes the condition worse and of course Christmas is a major hurdle, but we've got over this one and hopefully as her routine returns to normal she will improve a little

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Dec 2013 04:43

Col, I have been trying to persuade him to get checked out, as I know there is medication which could help him if it's diagnosed early . I will enlist the help of his son, who we will see today. O.h. has been working lots of overtime over Christmas, several 10 hr days and is really tired out but he won't say no to the bosses who wanted help with new machinery being installed. This seems to happen every holiday time. He is being made to do more and more work that is beyond his original job description so more engineering than electrical and that is taxing him too.

I hope your Mum will feel more settled soon - it must make life a bit easier for you when she is calmer.

Take care, will keep you posted on o.h.

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 09:16

We lost dad on the 19th Dec 1975 and had to wait till 30th Dec to say our final goodbye to him

Christmas has got easier as the years have passsed but he is talked about .and mum too who passed in 1980. at Christmas time especially

His birthday was the 28th so he certainly is well around over the Xmas period

Dermot

Dermot Report 29 Dec 2013 09:20

Several 'celebrities', who have fallen from their 'godly' pedestals, will probably wish this year was over & forgotten.

And so will our cricketing chaps in Australia - sadly.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2013 09:35

Liz
Hubby is on the 24 hour patch of rivastigamine .he can't take it in tablet form as he has gastric ulcers .

It's the drug they give for altzeimers that slows down the brain cell loss and in lots of cases improves the condition when first taken as cells that were dying off get revitalised.

We all noticed an improvement with Michael .

He has been in it now for just over a year and his condition is steady . He does struggle with words recall .starts to tell you something and it's popped out of his head . But he functions OK with everything else.

He does have balance problems too as has Lewy body dementia too that often goes with his type if altzeimers .I worry more about him falling than forgetting his words .

So early diagnosis is essential for the medication to help .

We found all the tests etc take up time waiting for appointments etc lost hubby 9 months when he probably lost more brain cells as the condition is progressive .

The medication isn't a cure .they don't have one as yet, but it slows down the condition