General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please. A..y or FMP?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 30 Dec 2013 15:23

Have not had a subscription for about 3 years,,....Health problems.... Now feel up to taking on the remaining research & putting the meat on the bones as they say...... In this time I know there have been many updates..... Used to have both, but now it will have to be only the one so which gives best value for money please.?... Thank you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2013 15:28

Good to hear that you are up for the challenge again Margaret.

It's difficult to say which site is better than the other, especially as the full GR holds many of the same records as FMP.

Since I can only afford one, I've opted for Ancestry, mainly because several branches disappeared off to other English speaking countries + those who stayed behind mainly lived in or around London.

The best suggestion would be for you to take out free trials for each in turn (remembering to cancel before the time is up) to see what is available. You can also access both with out registering just to see what records each hold.

Don't forget that there are always some members who have a sub to the one you don't and are quite happy to provide the details found on a 'free' search.

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 30 Dec 2013 16:02

Thank you DET...... I do remember that each had its merits. Sometimes I would find that if I couldn't find something on one then usually found it on the other... Especially census..... I need to go back pre 1837 to confirm info I have been given/found. That I imagine would be parish records tho. Newspapers too...Do either do those.?

Renes

Renes Report 30 Dec 2013 16:59

Margaret

Have you considered buying a copy of Family Tree Maker ... choose the Platignum version and get 6 months sub to A...y ....

I purchased a copy of Amaz.n for £29.00 with the six months free

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2013 17:12

Both FMP and the linked GR have access to the British Newspaper Archive in one level of subscription.

When it comes to PR, it does depend where the events took place. Ancestry has many from the larger areas/cities in England - London and Liverpool for instance - but FMP/GR more from the smaller places.

Its always worth checking out the free resources first as no one site has a monopoly.

Renes' suggestion of buying FTM sounds a good compromise! If you don't already have an offline tree programme, its always a good idea.