General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2013 17:05

Who is staying in and who is hitting the town tonight?

We are staying in, having a nice (I hope) meal and seeing in the new year with a bottle of bubbly and the fireworks on TV. :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 31 Dec 2013 17:16

Im off out Ann.....Got me dancing shoes and me party poppers ready :-D ;-)

Von

Von Report 31 Dec 2013 17:22

Eeek Ann
Fireworks on TV :-0 :-0 :-0

Seriously though I hope you enjoy your meal and the bubbly.

We are celebrating with the neighbours . I did think that I could raise a glass every time another country reached 2014 but by the time it reached midnight here I might just be a tad worse for wear. ;-) ;-)
Take care and all the best for 2014
<3Von

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Dec 2013 17:24

Nope staying in and probably hitting the hay before 12oclock

We used to like the Hogmany programme on TV but not into Jules Holland .

Here in Kent its dead outside on the stroke of midnight.

When we lived in SE London it was great , the boats on the Thames sounded their horns and the neighbours came out into the street and we did the conga up an down the road . Fireworks too in the later years .

All the neighbours seemed to stay up and have family parties . Here its dead and very uninspiring .

Miss the older members though of the family but have the memories

Sound a very sad OAP dont I

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2013 17:29

Staying in - cats don't like fireworks.
My sister was going to come over from Sussex, but with the weather probably going to be awful for her journey back tomorrow, I persuaded her not to.
I will, however, probably have a couple of Ports, and maybe open a 'decent' bottle of wine - and be listening to radio 4 extra.

Oh - and I'm not an OAP :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2013 17:37

Lol Maggie. I actually think more people stay in than go out. You have a bop/jig/dance around for the rest of us Mersey.

Dead in this road two. We and our next door neighbours usually pop outside at 12 and wish each other happy new year but nobody else in the culdesac stirs.

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Dec 2013 17:37

I've just been 'advised' that a handful of swivel-eyed loons from hereabouts have been invited this evening to our supposedly 'family-friendly' gathering.

And I am assured that I would not be the nominated driver like I always am - everyone is kipping here overnight or until they are sober enough to make their own way home - whichever is first.

Meanwhile, the rest of the neighbourhood will be as serene as a Vicar’s sitting-room.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 31 Dec 2013 17:39

hmmmmm....difficult one. I think I may stay in tonight :-D <3

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 31 Dec 2013 17:42

Normally party first-footing night for us Ann but looks like we're set for a quiet evening ..........still lots of bottles from Christmas soo probably drinking with Jools ;-).......

have a jive for me Mersey...."I fink am getting owld" :-( :-S :-D

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 31 Dec 2013 17:43

SNAP .....nearly :-D :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 31 Dec 2013 17:45

We'll be staying in too and probably in bed with a book before 12, but Shirley's post brought back some memories. I also lived in SE London till I was 23 (a long while ago!). Just before 12 all the neighbours would go out in the street and we would hear the boats on the Thames even though we were a little way away. Fings definitely ain't what they used to be.

Island

Island Report 31 Dec 2013 17:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nVqLfPBtw

:-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Dec 2013 17:59

Hi Vera

Where did you live ?

I was brought up in Charlton and dads maternal family were all from the Greenwich and Southwark area . His mums paternal family were all barge builders on the River Thames .

The area was great for New Years Eve with the boats on the Thames blaring out their horns, somehow it did seem very special then

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Dec 2013 18:00

I'm off over my friend's - the friend whose husband died in July - her old Dad will be there too - just the three of us - I usually go to bed before midnight but am making an exception this year

Hope you all have a good time

Ann XXXX <3 <3 <3 <3

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 31 Dec 2013 18:10

Hi Shirley

I lived at Hither Green, not far from Lee. In the summer we used to get the 75 bus to Charlton and spend most of the day at the Lido.

New Year's Eve doesn't seem so special any more does it? Or maybe that's just me getting old!

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Dec 2013 18:17

An old Irish pishogue - for good luck, only a dark-haired first-footer should be the first person allowed to enter a home on New Year's day.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Dec 2013 18:18

Oh My goodness I remember the nos 75 bus and spending lots of time at the charlton Lido

We married in 1957 and our daughter was born in 1958 . the summer of 1959 we spent many afternoons at the Lido after hubby finished his 6.-2pm shift at UGB the local bottle works.

After I came home in Jan 1946 from evacuation the Lido was our swimming pool in the summer if mum could afford to give us the entrance fee. Otherwise we would go to the Lido park and splash around in the free babies pool which was with the swings and seesaw section that was sectioned off with a lady who kept an eye on things

Small world !!