General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy, as it seems very quiet here I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2014 14:35

might have a little ramble?

I became a gt aunt a few days ago :-) :-) and it spurred me to look at some of the masses of paperwork and saved documents that I have been intending ( "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" lol) to write up, organise and otherwise bring out of the darkness for months and years.

And I still come back to the thought that the most frustrating part of it all is the disappearance of one gt gt aunt. Will I too, when I am a gt gt aunt and my gt gt niece or nephew is building a tree, be 'missing' :-0

Do you find it, as I do, more galling that the person who is missing from your research is one who is relatively recent? My grandmother would probably have known what happened to her aunt, so 'just' within my lifetime that someone was alive who knew, and yet just out of reach.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jan 2014 15:00

Yes I do Rose, not that they were actually missing but My Gt Grandfather's birth, I just can't find, unfortunately he was born in France. same family, his father, can't find why he went to France, and then he (My Gt Gt Grandfather doesn't seem to have returned with his wife, who subsequently remarried as a widow (who knows), if that was true then he could have died in France.Sooo frustrating. And same Gt Grandfather on censuses is in the Royal Marines as a tailor living in RM accommodation, and can find no proofof him being in the R Marines.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 3 Jan 2014 15:24

I am actually a Grt Grt Aunt by marriage and just a Grt Aunt by my own side :-D

I hope to be remember as just a Great Aunt............the one that always got drunk and danced on the tables at family doo's and flashed her bloomers and stocking tops ;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Jan 2014 15:28

I would like to be remembered

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 3 Jan 2014 16:24

My father died when I was four and my maternal grandparents came to live with us and to look after me and my three sibling while my mother worked.

Grandma and I spent many hours together and she told me many stories about when my mum was a little girl and oranges were ten a penny. How I wish she had mentioned a few other people and who they were and that I may have just remembered something about them.

vera2010

vera2010 Report 3 Jan 2014 16:44

My great grandmother, Mary Jane born in the North of Ireland Armagh or Antrim. My mother was 22 when she died but she never mentioned her ever. She did talk about her own mother Martha. Wished I had asked a bit more but when I think of it my own daughter shows little interest in my mother, her grandmother who died before she was born.

Vera

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Jan 2014 16:52

I'd like to know who abducted my biological grandfather? Even if he did a 'runner' he should have popped up somewhere on this earth :-0

ChAoTicintheNewYear

ChAoTicintheNewYear Report 3 Jan 2014 18:43

The aliens got him Sue ;-) :-P :-D :-D

In fact if any of his other descendants ever appear you'll probably find they're small and green ;-) :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Jan 2014 19:43

More than likely...lolol it's so annoying though! I know an awful lot about him from documented evidence but the swine just disappears :-(

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 3 Jan 2014 23:12

Dear Rambles

Hello

Warm congratulations on becoming a great aunt.

Welcome to the world, little one.

Hope the mother takes things easy for the next few days.

Take gentle care
Very best wishes to you and your family,
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 3 Jan 2014 23:12

Dear Rambles

Hello

Warm congratulations on becoming a great aunt.

Welcome to the world, little one.

Hope the mother takes things easy for the next few days.

Take gentle care
Very best wishes to you and your family,
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2014 23:38

Thankyou Elizabeth, not all friends of the couple know yet as baby arrived two weeks early so I can't say too much online but I think I am safe enough saying here that mum ( and dad!) and baby boy are doing well :-)