General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clinical depression

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 6 Jan 2014 08:46

My son has been diagnosed with clinical depression as a result of problems within his business. He has an appointment with a cognitive therapist. He is the nicest most grounded person you could ever meet, perhaps he has been too kind and understanding.

Pray for him please.

I am back to my Yoga class this morning, Namaste
<3 <3 <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2014 08:51

So sorry to hear that Paula, I hope the therapy helps him to overcome this. <3 <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Jan 2014 09:11

Paula my thoughts are with you and your son and the family <3 <3

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2014 09:33

He has taken the hardest step so onwards and upwards. I wish your son the very best.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Jan 2014 11:39

Paula I hope things improve for your son. I'm sure that the current financial crisis will have effected many people that otherwise would not have had problems. Hard working, level headed people like your son. It is so difficuly to hold everything together these days. My thoughts are with you both.

Wendy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2014 11:42

hey - don't worry - I've had clinical depression for years - went through a bad patch in 1996 when I was diagnosed and have been on antidepressants ever since - wil probably have to take them for the rest of my life, but my GP says that's no problem.
As long as he is on the right medication he'll be fine so don't worry. I'm on Venlafaxine and it suits me down to the ground - I take one a day, but if I or my friends think I'm "falling back" then I increase to two a day till things are right again

I weathered the death of my dear husband with no setback!!

I'm interested in Namaste Paula!! my son's sister-i-law is called Namaste - could there be a connection?

Ann XXX <3 <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 6 Jan 2014 12:15

Paula my thoughts with your son, you and your family <3

With the right medication as AnnC says he will be able
to get on with his life.

Emma :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 6 Jan 2014 12:35

A lot more people are suffering clinical depression these days, Paula. Stresses of modern living must be partially the cause. I hate to admit I went through a very severe bout about 11 years ago. Occasionally I have to tell people and - guess what - my last 3 bosses all have suffered and been on all types of medication.

It makes you and whole family completely review your whole life. Things that used to be important suddenly seem insignificant. Going from a Merc to an old Fiesta, going from a 5 bedroomed mansion to a flat, terrace or council house, and all those types of materialism and keeping up with Jonesies are just of no importance whatsoever.

You need to get your extended family on board with fact that your personality will change for a time. You will seem very selfish and bad tempered and have a constant need of space and being alone. But almost everyone seems to get through - with or without medication. In fact, I should think yoga is a very good non-chemical way of altering brain chemistry, though I have no medical knowledge whatsover to prove that.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2014 12:54

people with clinical depression always keep a smile on their face - no one ever has a clue until they reach breaking point - then it can be dealt with

with me the breaking point came when I took a massive overdose - I had no idea I was suffering from clinical depression and neither did anyone else in spite of the fact I was working in a psychiatric hospital and my colleagues and boss were all highly qualified psychiatric nurses - they had no idea either

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 6 Jan 2014 13:26

Been there myself and I still battle that black cloud from time to time.

I had no idea I was depressed the first time either, I just got on with life but took no real pleasure in anything. It wasn't until I took one of our girls to the GP for something or other and burst into tears that mine was medicated.

Like AnnC, I still smiled, but as my husband later said, my eyes never smiled along with the rest of my face.............good luck to your son and I hope in time he will cope much better with life. <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 6 Jan 2014 14:38

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been to see my son today, and he seemed to be brighter. He has a lovely wife and step daughters who adore him so he is enjoying and making he most of their attention. Whilst I was there he took a couple of phone calls from the office which seemed to cheer him up. He has an appointment to see his GP tomorrow, hopefully things will start to become

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2014 16:04

stop worrying Paula - he'll be fine once the correct medication is in place <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Jan 2014 16:08

Totally agree with Ann, once everything to do with the medication and therapy is sorted and in his system and he gets the help he needs he will be moving in the right direction........Tiny steps are all it takes <3 <3

kandj

kandj Report 6 Jan 2014 17:20

So much pressure within the workforce these days so I hope that your son can step back and that he gets the help and the medication he needs to feel well in himself again before too long. Of course you are going to worry about your son. You're his Mum and it comes naturally with the job! I will remember him and your family in prayer.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 6 Jan 2014 18:35

For AnnC

We use Namaste at the beginning and end our the Yoga class. The teacher makes the gesture Namaste and the class responds. It represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another. Nama means bow, as means I, and te means you. Therefore, namaste literally means "bow me you" or "I bow to you."

To perform Namaste, we place the hands together at the heart charka, close the eyes, and bow the head.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2014 18:48

ah - thank you - thought you were referring to a person, as I have only heard the name relating to my son's sister-in-law <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jan 2014 02:48

Paula, I am glad your son is getting the support and therapy he needs and if he is getting support from his workplace too, so much the better. I am sure he will cope with the depression as the mechanisms are put in place and also as the days lengthen and get brighter he might feel a bit better too. So many people suffer with SAD as well which really doesn't help lift the spirits.

I empathise with all those with depression, having coped for years. When I first was diagnosed it was called Nervous debility, which does sort of cover the feelings I had.

With love and support your lad and others in the same boat have a chance to smile again, with their eyes too

love to all who suffer and their familes too, they suffer seeing their loved ones in pain

Lizxx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 8 Jan 2014 09:19

Thank you all so much for your very kind messages of concern and support. I have to confess that it came as a shock when my son told me of his depression, I had no idea how he was feeling. He hid it very well, he has simply tried
to be too strong for too long. He has been off work for six weeks which includes the Christmas period, the break from work seems to have helped him get things into perspective, he has been under tremendous pressure trying to run the business side of the practice in addition to carrying his own case load. The changes in government legislation regarding funding for legal aid will have a serious affect not just on my sons business but on almost all law practices. He has an appointment with his doctor on Friday, but still no appointment with the therapist

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 8 Jan 2014 11:17

Paula I hope that your son can get through this difficult period in his life with the support of his family and the right medication.Best wishes,

Margot