General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't put things off - do it!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2014 21:40

For some time now I've been intending to visit an old neighbour of mine - he lived in a bungalow opposite ours on a new estate and we got quite friendly - had the usual Christmas card and thought - "must pop in and see Alan"

This evening his sister-in-law rang to tell me he died on Friday - he hanged himself - oh how I wish I had gone to visit him

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 6 Jan 2014 21:44

That is very sad Ann.

We're all the same about doing something and keep putting it off.

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Jan 2014 21:47

Ann thats so so sad :-(

kandj

kandj Report 6 Jan 2014 21:59

Oh dear AnnC, that must have been such a shock to you.
I will learn from your experience and not put things off that could be done today.
My thoughts now are with Alan's family and his friends at such a tragic time.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Jan 2014 22:12

That is very sad Ann. I appreciate not putting things off, it's just so easy to delay phoning, writing to or visiting someone :-(

xx

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jan 2014 22:24

How sad Ann my thoughts are with his family and friends,

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 6 Jan 2014 22:28

I agree Ann...a similar thing happened to me.
I had a musician friend from way back who lived 80miles away and we agreed to meet up a few years ago ..and then my Oh got very ill and it was postponed.
After my husband died I casually met a musician who had played in the same area as me ....and we didn't know each other,but had quite a few mutual musician friends,including this special one,,,and he had been a special friend to him too.
I tried to contact him again last year,and got in touch with his lady friend as I tried to phone him on the number I had to no avail.
I eventually got through,only to find he'd died 3 weeks before...and he had died on my birthday....if only I hadn't waited so long.

Wend

Wend Report 6 Jan 2014 22:31

Oh Ann - that is so tragic. Love and hugs xxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jan 2014 02:26

Sad stories, and I have done the same thing, missed talking to my late Mum's friend and bridesmaid cos I never got round to arranging a visit ( 25 miles away but should have done it). I also neglected to contact another elderly friend who had been in hospital and had one foot amputated and then the other, and she died before I made the effort to visit. Last year I lost another elderly friend and ex neighbour and hadn't visited her for a while because she lived several miles away, and it's happened with other people too.

Each time I tell myself I must try harder to visit folk and still I get it wrong. Must make it my resolution this year. At least I did eventually get to visit my cousin last autumn, she will be 76 soon.

Ann, I am so sorry that your old neighbour was in such a bad place that he took his own life, my heart goes out to his family and friends. Try to remember him as he was when you lived nearby and he was stronger. May he and all those we miss, rest in peace.

Lizx

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 7 Jan 2014 11:31

We all do it Ann, an uncle of mine did the same thing even though he was surrounded by a loving family all the time, his was driven by horrible experiences during WW2 and a lifetime battling his memories and wounds.

He worked hard, married and had a wonderful family, but the inner torment just got too much to bear and he took the only option he could see to get away from his pain

:-( :-(

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 7 Jan 2014 12:05

So very sad Ann sadly we can all be guilty of putting things off. May your friend rest in the peace he was searching for <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Jan 2014 13:21

So very sad Ann, May he rest in peace <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2014 14:20

his wife died about ten years or so ago, no children, lonely I suppose - at least he is at peace now and free of loneliness

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 7 Jan 2014 14:26

<3 <3