General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I being mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Jan 2014 18:36

Charity Collectors... What do you do?

Earlier today an elderly man called at the door and asked if I would like to help disadvantaged children by purchasing a little booklet.
The paper booklet contains a few pages of sudoku, puzzles and crosswords.
( 3 or 4 sheets of printed A4 paper, folded and stapled in the middle)

I asked the man exactly how much of the £2.95 cover price went to the charity.?
He then told me there was no specific charity but 30% of the cover charge was given to disadvantaged children?

Just 88.5p of the £2.95
I politely refused to buy it.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2014 18:43

I have a sign on my door which amongst other things, says "We do not buy at the door"

If anyone calls selling things, I just point to the sign and close the door :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Jan 2014 18:50

And what's not to say the elderly man wasn't pocketting the money for hisself..

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Jan 2014 19:02

I have the same sign as Ann, if I want something I'll go to the shop for it, if i want to give to any charity or good cause, I source out where to send the money myself.

Doorstep selling should be outlawed, it's outdated

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2014 20:42

'Chuggers' are just as bad. they're the ones that try to collar you in the high street (CHarity mUGGERS). They don't just want a 'one-off' donation, they want to raid your bank account with a regular direct debit. Not only that - they're not people volunteering - the charity pays them (£33 a day was the last amount I heard). When they ever manage to stop me, (usually by chasing me, and once, by grabbing my arm), I point out that they are harassing me, and I am quite capable of giving to a charity of my choice without being coerced, and without a middle man.

I'm a miserable old c*w!! :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 7 Jan 2014 20:51

I have three chosen charities which I have researched as I like to know how much actually goes to the cause I have chosen to support. I also have a list of charities that I refuse to donate anything to because I know that most of the money goes to administration and promotional stuff like caps and t-shirts.

I work for a charitable organisation where 92 percent of donations go the cancer patients and equipment. It money also stays in the region in which it is raised.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 7 Jan 2014 22:24

Chuggers, doorstep charity callers and any others who are after my money get no joy from me....I politely refuse, and tell them I have my chosen few charities to which I donate including an Ethiopian child whom I sponsor.
Yes, I'd like to give more to charity, but I'm not made of money!!! :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2014 23:12

my two favourite charities are Lifeboats and Air Ambulance, which in my opinion should be funded by the government, not by public donation - they are essential

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jan 2014 06:33

True but the problem is that the Government has no money, they can only spend what we give them in our taxes,or borrow, so one way or another, we end up paying. The difference is that if the government fund them, we no longer have any say in where our money goes.

We support around three charities or our choice. Very occasionally loose change goes into a collection box in a local shop, but never in the street.

The other thing that we object to are the endless TV adverts asking us to donate £2, £3 a month. Sometimes there are up to three or four during the course of a single program. Goodness knows what these adverts are costing.

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Jan 2014 10:44

I donated to some charities over Christmas by text. Now I keep getting phone calls asking for more. I apologise and hang up. I donate when i can afford it and don't want to be pestered. I feel it is my choice as to when and how | donate. I don't think i will be texting donations again.
Makes me feel very mean