General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't kiss grandma!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Jan 2014 12:35

Today's news is that children should not be expected to kiss grandma and every other relative etc.

I agree - as a child I loathed having to kiss my mother's friends, her aunts and uncle Bill (her cousin) who washed your face. Yuck.

So I never pushed my children to do the same.

My own grandchildren - can recall one aged about three would pass by when leaving - I would ask 'any hugs', a firm 'no' would be the reply. I would say 'OK'.

Next time she was round I would probably get hugged and kissed to death. Daughter and I would just laugh about it.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 8 Jan 2014 12:44

Oh how sad. I just love it when my grandchildren hurl themselves at me and kiss and hug me.

I did have an old aunt who my mother insisted I kiss when we met. I can still smell the mixture of strong body odour and feel the rasp of her moustache :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2014 12:49

I never made my son kiss anyone - up to him if he wanted to

Island

Island Report 8 Jan 2014 12:52

Kissing old people (let's face it, all grown ups are old when we are nippers) was not a requirement in our house but grandma expected us to line up and receive a kiss from her. It was horrid because it was scratchy :-0 *shudders*

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 8 Jan 2014 12:55

Our grandchildren aged from 3 to 22 all kiss and hug us.
I will casually ask "will someone please give me a hug" the response tells me that they do it because they love me. The 6 year old does not like to kiss anyone but gives terrific hugs.

As my son was growing up he became uncomfortable kissing some people, so I told him to shake hands if he felt it was more appropriate, now my son is a big hugger and still kisses me I am happy to say.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Jan 2014 13:02

we kiss and hug a lot

but sometime we just high five :-D :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Jan 2014 13:05

Have to say our g.children now aged 24 and 27 always give kiss and big hugs on arrival and departure. Not just me Gramps comes in for his share.

Signs of affection must be given voluntarily IMHO.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jan 2014 21:15

BC......I am with you there 100%.

There is nothing better than hearing "Grandma" being shouted as a little person hurtles or toddles up the path for the first of many hugs and kisses.

Wonderful, our adult children all kiss us and hug us and each other too when they go home after visiting,it's just the way we are.

:-D :-D :-D

Kuros

Kuros Report 8 Jan 2014 21:23

My grandma had a moustache. Enough said.

Annie

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 8 Jan 2014 21:29

My grandchildren all kiss and hug but I've noticed the two older boys are becoming slightly more reluctant. They show their affection in other ways.

I really don't like to see children forced to kiss and hug. Affection is something that should be given freely but appropriately.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Jan 2014 21:30

My Nanna very rarely wore her false teeth and always gave huge sloppy kisses. Oh how I miss them she was such a sweetheart , even without the teeth ;-) :-D :-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 8 Jan 2014 21:38

I get lots of hugs from my grandchildren, and kisses on the cheek are fine. I never like kissing relatives on the mouth - I reserve that for my OH! :-D ;-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 8 Jan 2014 21:49

As a family we're great huggers and kissers :-D.......but I'd never force children to kiss either.

I've found some of the young teenage lads do still like to give a hug (even in front of their mates) :-D...but then others give a firm handshake.

However one thing I wouldn't ever do is kiss a baby on the lips

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2014 23:06

Our mum wasn't very tactile, so when my sister & I had children, we decided to attempt to be the opposite. Strangely it took a bit of effort, but we succeeded, our children are wonderfully tactile, as are our grandchildren - and they remind US to have a hug or kiss.
At the moment, my 3 year old grandson will give me a big kiss - (especially, I've notice, when he has a runny nose), 5 year old grandson won't - but will hug. 11 year old grand daughter will rush in and give me the biggest hug & kiss. When they stay over, grandsons sleep in a double bed-settee together, grand daughter is offered the other room - but prefers to sleep in my (double) bed with me (and usually one of the 3 cats).

They're never told they 'have' to kiss or hug anyone - I'm all for reminding them their body is theirs, and they NEVER have to allow anyone else (not even granny's) kiss or hug them.