General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"british subject by parentage"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Henry

Henry Report 27 Jan 2014 08:10

Please can anyone tell me the exact definition of "british subject by parentage" in the Nationality column off the 1911 Census

Many thanks,

Henry

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2014 08:34

It normally means that the parents were British though the child was born abroad. ....

:-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 27 Jan 2014 08:34

Could be like our son, we were overseas when he was born but he's British due to us being British. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2014 08:37

Our granddaughter was born in Germany where her dad was based in the army her birth was reg at the British Consulate and where her parents renounced her
German nationality

Henry

Henry Report 27 Jan 2014 11:55

Thanks for that, what is strange is the woman in question Helena has her brother lodging with them and he is described as Nationality "German". I mistake somewhere.

H

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2014 12:08

Bearing in mind that this was the first census when all the householders were expected to complete the form, sometimes they messed up.

One of mine has 'British by Parentage' - he was born in England as were both his parents. :-D

Henry

Henry Report 27 Jan 2014 13:02

Good point, thanks

jax

jax Report 27 Jan 2014 14:03

I would agree with DET

I have seen many with 'British subject by parentage' where they have been born in the UK

As with the other columns, not all read the form properly and would put years married when they were widowed or names of children who had died even giving their ages as would be, if lived