General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Interesting message from Internet Explorer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Feb 2014 14:49

Quote.Internet Explorer has Blocked this Site from Using an ActiveX control in an unsafe Manner,as a result this page may not display correctly. Anyone else had it? and whats it all about, :-( :-S I have,nt a clue.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 5 Feb 2014 15:02

Found this on windows.microsoft.com

Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner. As a result, this page might not display correctly.

Which means:-

A website tried to access an ActiveX control on your computer without your permission.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/internet-explorer-information-bar-faq#1TC=windows-7

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 Feb 2014 15:03

Are you using IE8 by any chance?

Have you had any updates to your PC recently

Some updates have been known to affect ActiveX security settings

Roy

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Feb 2014 15:22

Roy Yes and Yes. have been advised to get Adblocker,hoping that may sort it. thanks to you andOFTG.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 5 Feb 2014 15:31

I use Mozilla Firefox and Following advice from one of RolloTheRed's posts I added Adblock Plus and I am quite impressed with the results :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 5 Feb 2014 19:00

I too followed Rollo's advice and installed Adblock Plus and Noscript on Firefox - only just done it, can't comment! But IE10 firmly rejects Adblock, rule 403 - any reason for this?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 Feb 2014 19:21

Elizabeth2469049, From Adblock plus

Adblock Plus currently doesn’t support Enhanced Protected Mode of Internet Explorer 10, we expect that to be resolved in a follow-up release soon

https://adblockplus.org/releases/adblock-plus-10-for-internet-explorer-released

If you go to the FAQ on the their download page for IE10 you get this message

Internet Explorer 10 is currently under active development.

We are working on the integration with IE10. If you would like to be informed once Simple Adblock is available for Internet Explorer 10, please submit your email below. We will send you an email once Simple Adblock for IE10 is available.

Best regards

The Simple Adblock Team

Roy

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 5 Feb 2014 19:51

thanks - will try and get it later

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 5 Feb 2014 19:54

Now find on Firefox a message saying "script currently forbidden!" well I did try

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 7 Feb 2014 19:39

Help please! As I said earlier I added NoScript to Firefox - but this clearly blocks Java which meant l couldn't order from Asda. I could find no way of disabling NoScript or re-installing Java - went back to IE and re-enabled Java and got through to Asda that way. But I would prefer to use Firefox, how can I get rid of NoScript?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 10 Feb 2014 11:59

After a lot of exploration I have managed to remove NoScript - and can access ASDA again!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Feb 2014 12:02

All is now right in your cyber world then Elizabeth :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 10 Feb 2014 13:28

that would be a bit of an overstatement! I have a file called "Ask B.." listing oddments to mention next time I have to get professional help from the above B..
oddments like sites I have mislaid or disappeared from a task bar, or things I have found an unorthodox but tedious way round.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Feb 2014 13:53

If you are running no script then you will see a button "Options" bottom right of the browser window. Click on this and you will be able to change the permissions for the current sight eg allow, temp allow, forbid and so on.

After a while all yr trusted sites will be "Allowed".

You can of course always read the online help...