General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adverts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 6 Feb 2014 12:33

After reading all the advice about the value of having an Adblocker I tried to download something yesterday which has been a spectacular disaster-I am inundated with adverts as I try to type this and a very slow computer-I suspect I may have abandoned the download before it was complete

Can anyone suggest what to do ? bearing in mind I am not very computer literate. :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Feb 2014 12:40

What site did you use to download adblocker?

some sites offering downloads are not what they appear, before downloading anything make sure you are downloading from the correct site,

You can usualy tell if its the correct site from the web address,

Start, Control panel, programs, then locate the program and select uninstall,

Reboot and do a security scan

Roy

Edit, Adblocker will not work with IE10 at the moment

Joeva

Joeva Report 6 Feb 2014 12:55

I added my Adblock from Chrome Web Store. It is also available from Firefox.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 6 Feb 2014 13:08

If your using Firefox go to "Tools" then "Add Ons" then select "Get Add Ons" and in "Search All Add Ons" in top right of screen - type Adblock and hit enter.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 6 Feb 2014 14:19

Thank you Roy and OFITG -I forgot to say I use Firefox- have done all that plus a clean out of cache and cookies still a bit slow but hopefully the ads have gone for good :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Feb 2014 15:17

Fingers crossed ;-)

Roy

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Feb 2014 15:30

For Firefox you need Adblocker Plus. A safe site to download it from is :

http://download.cnet.com/Adblock-Plus-for-Mozilla-Firefox/3000-11745_4-10636539.html

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 6 Feb 2014 16:47

Thanks Jonesy-

I downloaded Adblock plus using OFITGs directions.

The sudden bursts of "speak or music" in the ads that made me jump everytime :-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Feb 2014 11:05

Got my hand slapped this morning :-(

Following the problem with the ads it was obvious I had a bigger problem which I posted on "r..........t" and received advice re installing a Malware programme (with a successfull result)

This morning I was informed by an administrator that my thread had been removed as " Adblockers were killing off Free sites as it is their only form of income"

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Feb 2014 11:09

Had never thought of that.

I have always been amazed at what you can do free on the internet and had just never thought that that was why.

They still get on my nerves though!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Feb 2014 12:07

I have heard of this happening to others and that's one reason why i don't use Adblocker.

I was told that if you have adblocker some sites will block you from loading their website,

Like i say i've only heard this but i have no proof either way

Roy