General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Today in 2002 Princess Margaret passed away

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 Feb 2014 08:47

It was 12 years ago today on the 9th February 2002 that the Queen's sister, Princess Margaret died in her sleep at the age of 71 after being rushed to hospital suffering from a stroke - her funeral took place on Friday 15 February at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

I met her at Stirling University in the late 1960's, she was a lovely person. and rightly or wrongly she lived her life to the full - her way.

R.I.P. Margaret you were not only a beautiful looking woman - you were a beautiful person <3

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 Feb 2014 09:34

Think it's 12 years ?.
We are in 2014 aren't we?.
It's 34 years today since my father died suddenly whilst I was talking to him....I'll never forget!
RIP. <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 Feb 2014 09:41

Thanks Brenda <3 you are correct, my old brain is not as good as it used to be - I've corrected it.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 Feb 2014 10:17

We all have "senior moments" ...and time goes so quickly,especially the older we get...believe me,I know!
:-D :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2014 10:56

she should have married Peter Townsend - too much pressure on her I suppose - my lovely OH died i 2002

Harry

Harry Report 9 Feb 2014 13:11

I just remember two lovely young girls at the time of god save the king,and that,s the picture I like to keep in my mind rather than what was to become.

Happy days

Magpie

Magpie Report 9 Feb 2014 13:30

Judging by old film she and her sister the Queen were lovely pretty little girls and along with their parents looked such a happy family. That business with Peter Townsend was such bad luck for them both, bit like Brief Encounter! I'm not sure that the princess ever really recovered from her lost love.

Merlin

Merlin Report 9 Feb 2014 14:06

Amazing that she was,nt allowed to marry Peter Townsend because he was a Divorced Man,and yet Charles was allowed to marry ???? a divorcee who broke up his marriage to Diana,Double standards me thinks.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2014 14:10

No, just changing times probably Merlin. But I agree, I remember thinking it was like a love story, her and Peter Townsend, such a shame they couldn't marry. I used to love her when I was little and I remember naming my favourite doll Margaret Rose because I thought it was such a pretty name.