General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copying from another tree to mine

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elsol

Elsol Report 9 Feb 2014 16:46

I'm having difficulty copying a record from another tree to mine. Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Feb 2014 17:05

Simple answer -- You Can't!

Unless you do it the old fashioned way - with paper and pencil.

jax

jax Report 9 Feb 2014 17:11

If you pay to view the records you could attach it yourself, if not I wouldn't have thought you could see it....Cant really help as tree isn't on here anyway

Elsol

Elsol Report 9 Feb 2014 17:27

namelessone - It says here you can but I can't get it to work.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=139&searchterm=copy%20an%20entry%20from%20a%20tree%20to%20mine

jax

jax Report 9 Feb 2014 17:33

Are you talking about names or records?

Elsol

Elsol Report 9 Feb 2014 17:38

Records.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Feb 2014 17:42

Apologies - I don't use the clipboard - I've read the instructions and it seems just a s long winded as using pen and paper.

It also looked as though they were only referring to the names - I think you probably have to 'view' the records yourself as Jax suggested.

Elsol

Elsol Report 9 Feb 2014 17:54

I thought if I copied the record across it would bring their whole descendants line with it therefore avoiding the need for all that paper and pencil. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Feb 2014 18:18

Unless there has been a change in the last month or two, the copy to clipboard (for a person) etc doesn't work. Even if it did, it wouldn't bring their descendants with it.

If you've been given access to say an image of a census, try right-click and save to your computer. Then you can upload it to your own tree.

As a member since 2005, you've probably already heard the advice - take other peoples research as a guide and check each event for yourself. Every one can make mistakes, even the most experienced person