General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clipboard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 13 Feb 2014 13:10

Can somebody please explain how to use the clipboard facility. I wish to copy details from someone else's tree to which I have access and add the details to my own tree. I have looked at 'Help' but still can't do it. I can copy the name from the other persons tree into a clipboard but don't know how to paste it into mine.
Please put your reply in simple English! Thanks!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Feb 2014 19:23

Hi Rosemary

In simple English - No one else seems to be able to get it to work either.

TBH, use other people's trees as a guide only, but check by researching yourself. Anyone can make a mistake unless every available B,MorD cert has been purchased.

If you really wanted to copy the details, open GR and your tree.
Open another window (not tab) and log onto GR again, but this time look at the contacts tree.

Put your cursor on the black strip at the bottom of your screen.
Select 'show windows side by side'

You ought then be able to view both your tree and the contacts at the same time, and manually copy the info over.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Feb 2014 22:40

I have just been experimenting. If you copy the name of the relative manually, so that you have the little box and a pull-out notes section, you can then go into the other tree and copy and paste information in the usual way ie highlight the bit you want to copy/put your cursor in the middle of the highlighted bit/right click/click copy on drop-down menu. Then open your tree at the place where you want the notes, put your cursor in the right place/right click and choose paste from the drop-down menu.

I apologise if you already knew all that. Also, I agree with DetEcTive that it is better not to copy unless you are quite sure the information is correct.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 14 Feb 2014 14:03

Thanks. I agree about not copying without checking first. I have found anomalies where I know I have the correct info because I have the birth certs etc.