General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ACT NOW to protect your medical confidentiality

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueCar

SueCar Report 18 Feb 2014 00:06

You have only two weeks left to opt out if you do not want your Doctor's surgery to pass on your medical records. (They are obliged to do this if you do not opt out).

"You might have missed the leaflet that would have come through your letterbox last month explaining Care.data, but all 26 million households in England were supposed to have been sent one. It was titled "better information means better care" and looked much like any other bit of junk mail".

. . . See http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-02/07/a-simple-guide-to-care-data for more details . . .

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Feb 2014 00:11

Gosh - is it only 2 weeks!!
My local surgery has print outs to fill in - I'm going on Thursday - memo to self - fill in a form!!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Feb 2014 06:47

I don't remember getting any info, must remember to call into my docs to opt out.

Lizx

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Feb 2014 08:22

The thing that concerns me most about this is that 3 eliments of this data can and no doubt will be used in the future to identfy individuels

1, Male of female
2, Age,
3, post code

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/victory-for-privacy-as-nhs-database-is-delayed-9137136.html

Roy

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Feb 2014 09:52

We had up to April to decide which way to go wether to opt out or not.

Now it has been extended to October this year as even some GP's are against it.
And some people haven't received the leaflet and others don't quite understand what info will be passed to outside companies to do all the statistics ie heart disease and deaths.

I will not be letting my doctors give info out at all.

Merlin

Merlin Report 19 Feb 2014 12:57

It was in the Paper today that it is to be delayed for 6 months,meybe by then it will go away.

SueCar

SueCar Report 19 Feb 2014 23:40

Thanks for your comments, everyone. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Feb 2014 23:51

I'd feel more confident if you had to opt in!!
It's all very well saying it will only go to research companies, and not sold to insurance companies, but what/who is a research company, and what's to stop those companies from selling on information?

Same with the electoral roll. Why do we have to tick the box to maintain our privacy?
Legally, we have to be on the electoral role, so we have no choice. Therefore it should be only by CHOICE that your information can be sold to cold callers and put on 192.com, not by default.