General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Hidden" sugar.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Feb 2014 12:46

8 grams ( one and a half ) teaspoon full on 2 Chelsea buns, not really hidden but why that much.
Luckily for me it doesn't matter however My husband needed to scrape it off his as he doesn't like to eat neat sugar!

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 26 Feb 2014 12:51

Theres hidden sugar in all our foods

BAKED BEANS

Tinned products with tomato sauces are one of the worst hidden sugar culprits. M&S beans have 7.2g of sugar per 100g, so a typical serving would contain 15g of sugar.
Cube rating: 3 cubes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-126977/Secret-sugar-shock.html#ixzz2uQqgMiiW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Its believed we eat 1lb of sugar a week!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Feb 2014 13:26

check out the sugar content of good old Corn Flakes! Scary

Imagine how much there is in Frosted Flakes.

Graham

Graham Report 26 Feb 2014 13:41

I've just hidden half a bag of sugar in my cup of coffee ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Feb 2014 14:38

LOl graham.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Feb 2014 19:07

KempinaPartyhat, just looked at that and it is pretty scary, little wonder there are so many over weight people about including me, and my Husband is diabetic.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Feb 2014 19:24

My daughter is type 1 diabetic and when I do the weekly shop, I always look at sugar content. Cereal bars are terrible and most not healthy at all. Better off bying bread and having toast and marmite.

Have to buy reduced sugar tomato sauce, baked beans unless she has the full sugar ones but only a tiny amount.

Someone once told me that in a pot of S*i yoghurt there are at least 6 teaspoons of sugar!!!! I have a friend who was told to eat fruit more and they were diabetic. They munched through 1/2 bunch of grapes evry night and their average blood sugar shot up. They didnt realise until the nurse did a routine blood test and then looked at their diet.

Its the hidden sugars disguised as sucrose, fructose etc that people dont notice on the packaging.

Florence
in the hebrides.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 26 Feb 2014 19:32

as a type 2 diabetic - the dietician especially warned me about fruit juice (which I'd always thought so healthy!) even in natural form and no sugar added, the natural sugars are quite high- just to use a teaspoonful or two and dilute it like squash if I must.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 26 Feb 2014 20:59

Yogurt is also terrible and should be banned as a health food!!!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 26 Feb 2014 21:22

plain yoghurt should be all right, and there are plain and no-fat or low-fat ones. It's the low-fat fruit ones that have dollops of sugar. There is one Irish fruit yoghurt brand which is no-fat no-added-sugar, all the supermarkets have it except A--a, but in very small quantities hidden in unlikely corners of the shelves.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Feb 2014 21:41

Thanks to mucking around with fruit & veg, say, 30 years ago one tomato would provide lots of nutrition. To get the same amount of nutrition from one of today's tomatoes you'd need to eat 8 - and that includes an awful lot of fructose!

Makes you realise the awful truth. When we were children, 'an apple a day kept the doctor away'. Nowadays, we're told to eat 5 lots of fruit & veg a day!!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Feb 2014 22:01

We grow our own veg, potatoes, tomatoes, runner beans, onions, they have a taste of what they should. I believe it is because things are massively grown there is no or very little nutrition in them, quantity not quality.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Feb 2014 08:04

When my late Mum was in hospital we had to ask people not to take her grapes as she was insulin dependent diabetic. It is scandalous the amount of sugar added to footstuffs and also the fructose etc which is naturally in various things. I hate all the no added sugar things tho as they often have aspartame in and I won't consume that if I can avoid it, as I am sure it caused my fm and cfs. Makes me wonder what it does to the children of today when it's in stuff they have. It's banned in the States, why are we still being fed it.

Lizx