General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My gran never had a teenage birthday.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 1 Mar 2014 23:15

She was born on Feb 29th 1884.....there was no leap year in 1900.

Not many people can remember their gran aged 12......

Was just thinking of her today when she would have been 130!

Where have the years gone? :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Mar 2014 23:25

She would actually have had 32 birthdays by now, Brenda :-) :-) Nice to have a grandma who is only 32.

My grandma would have been 126 on 8 June this year. I was 20 when she died and she always lived with us as a widow. I remember her as clear as a bell. Lovely person. She would say things like "I want to move from Rhos to Mochdre". "Why, it is lovely in Rhos?" "Because it is 2d on the bus from Rhos into town (Colwyn Bay) but only three ha'pence from Mochdre" :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Mar 2014 05:54

Oh bless!

I only ever knew one grandparent, my paternal Grandmother ,and didn't really know her well as she lived so far from us and we didn't have a car to visit. I suppose I saw her about half a dozen times at most.

She would have been130 too, I think her birthday was in January.

Lizx

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 2 Mar 2014 11:29

Much rather live in Rhos than Mochdre John.

Liz,I was the only grandchild for 23 years and we went every week on the bus to see her.
I really loved her and she used to tell such stories of life with her big family...there were 13 of them and when her dad died her mother..my great gran married a man with 12.so they used to have a few sittings for meals...suppose a lot of the older ones had left home by that time,but the stories were so interesting that I have been able to fill in for a lot of contacts,found on GR mostly ,their family histories.

This was my maternal side,my paternal gran was much more remote,although I saw her as she lived near,but no big hugs and seemed serious.

Just wish I'd asked even more...but don't we all?
:-) :-) :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Mar 2014 07:54

How lovely that you had such a nice relationship with your Grandmother and very special that you heard all the family stories too.

My Mum's Mum died when my Mum, the baby of the family, was just 16, a time when she needed her Mum a lot, altho she had several big sisters who were already married to turn to.

One of my Aunts was more like a grandmother to me and I did spend a lot of time with her which was nice. She sadly died when my son was 6 months old.

Lizx