General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Mar 2014 07:57

What are you giving up for Lent? I am giving up bread.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 5 Mar 2014 08:35

I am not giving up anything, Paula :-) Rather I should take up a new pleasure or vice hitherto undiscovered :-D <3

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Mar 2014 08:45

my ex-sister-in-law (my brother's ex-wife) used to ask me every year what I was giving up for Lent. I'm not religious, and she was, when it suited her :-0

Every year I gave her the same answer... "gingernut biscuits"

:-D

It took her about ten years to realise that I don't like gingernut biscuits.

I'm giving them up this year too.

Island

Island Report 5 Mar 2014 09:55

Aaw Paula.....before opening your thread I thought it was going to read " I am giving up b.........*gger all :-0

I gave up on giving up anything years ago when I saw that next doors kids - who were swagging about 'giving up sweets' had jars of substitute snacks dotted around the living room. :-|

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 5 Mar 2014 09:59

I am giving up not giving up anything :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Mar 2014 10:03

Lol. Bread is the easiest thing for me to give up ;-) ;-)

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 5 Mar 2014 10:05

I gave bread up 10 mths ago :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Mar 2014 10:50

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 5 Mar 2014 10:59

When I was in my teens I gave up sugar in my tea after lent was over tea tasted so sweet with it in I've gone without since also in coffee and cereal. :-) :-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Mar 2014 11:01

Linda I hope that doesn't happen with my bread :-D

Linda

Linda Report 5 Mar 2014 13:04

So do I Paula, but if it did I would laugh but that's my sense of humour :-D :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 5 Mar 2014 15:29

I don't give up anything for lent......I don't really understand the reasoning behind it.

Not eating a certain food for 3 weeks won't make me a better person I try every day to be kind in my words and actions................I don't always manage it, but that's human nature.

BC.......don't ever change :-D :-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 5 Mar 2014 18:25

Kitty.......giving up certain things for Lent (fasting) is simply following in the steps of Christ when he fasted for 40 days in the desert.

When people give up certain things,for the six weeks, it is not supposed to be for their own benefit, but should benefit others...eg. by giving the money they have saved on not buying chocolate and suchlike, to a charity.

On the other hand, some people take up something for Lent....maybe reading more about the faith or doing extra good work.

It's a way of testing our self control. :-)

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 5 Mar 2014 18:29

Thank you Cynthia.....I got that all wrong then :-S

Thank you for the explanation, I will have a think about it. :-) <3

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 5 Mar 2014 19:08

I think I will give up a little more tolerance, a tad of brain power, a tweak of mobility a smidgeon of skin elasticity, a a wee bit on the looks.

But just think what I will gain for getting older :-D :-D The right to be eccentric is a good start. :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Mar 2014 19:22

Nothing as I dont wish to break the habit of a life time......it wont alter me or benifit anyone.

Those who follow the tradition top marks.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 5 Mar 2014 21:49

I like that Cynthia "It's a way of testing our self control. %3A-%29"

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Mar 2014 08:24

Self control isn't a bad thing at times.

The Salvation Army have what is called the "Self-Denial" appeal where members are challenged to give of their finances (maybe depriving themselves of a luxury or something they really like), to reach out in faith through their giving - recognising how privileged they are in comparison to others. The monies raised go towards the ongoing work of the SA abroad.

:-)

Linda

Linda Report 6 Mar 2014 11:28

My mum said she was going to give up men She 91 I hope she gave them up long ago :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D