General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OH! Bother ...I need help again?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 7 Mar 2014 15:56

Had British Gas out this morning to fit in those new elec. meters ...good ! OK before he switched off the elec I removed the plugs for TV and Laptops (forgot about the sewing machine) well one laptop has come on fine the other, son's business one which is really important wont come on at all! the elec is ok but no action and alas neither is the sewing machine orking, not too bothered about that but can anyone tell me if I have done dreadful damage to the laptop (changed the fuse so not that) Help please some kind person .... :-( ....do you know I Hate computers now.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Mar 2014 16:01

are the upstairs wall sockets working,,,,,?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 7 Mar 2014 16:16

Try a socket which you know to be working.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 7 Mar 2014 16:31

Thanks Kay/Errol but the sockets are working the elec is getting through just a blank dark screen .

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Mar 2014 18:34

It is unlikely that a laptop would fail just because the power cable was disconnected - the whole point of a laptop is to run without mains power!

It is possible that the battery is flat. The power brick usually has a small light on to show it is plugged in. Plug it in to a known live socket. Is it on ? If not check the fuse ( 3 amp ). Fuse ok, no light ? Power brick failed ( unusual ).

Power brick light on ? Connect the power brick to the computer.
Wait a few minutes. The charging light on the laptop should be on. Wait for an hour and press the on switch. No charging light ? Most likely cause dead battery. Some laptops will run off the mains with a dead battery or even no battery, some won't.

Most other things that can cause a black screen even if there is power are caused by the laptop being dropped. A damaged screen will usually show something. A dead disk will not stop the BIOS appearing. However dislodged memory will stop everything so you can try removing the memory and push it back in ( it is under a little hatch on the bottom of the laptop).

I am sure careful Yorkshire people keep their data backed up. Sure I'm sure.

good luck

McB

McB Report 7 Mar 2014 19:53

Take the battery out of the laptop for a minute then put it back in, should boot up then.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Mar 2014 21:16

I've heard that, Brian but,

with the battery disconnected, press the power on button a couple of times, then replace the battery......

Nolls,
just a thought, do you have one of those resettable RCD sockets? they trip when power goes off, and need to be reset when power comes back on........v

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 7 Mar 2014 21:58

Right everyone thanks for all your input....However I noticed that it was actually on without picture and the green light would not go off then remembered something from ages ago to press the start button for at least 20 sec and hey presto it started so it seems OK now but thanks again :-)