General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Laundry detergent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Mar 2014 22:09

I bought a new box yesterday. I always get the biggest box, and put it into a bucket (with a lid).

On the sides of the box there were advertisements for other laundry products the company makes, including a new one, especially for black clothes! Lots of blurb about keeping them black, not murky grey. :-(

What???

I thought everybody knew about putting vinegar in the final rinse! My mum did it, my grandmothers did it........ do you?

None of my black clothes are murky grey.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Mar 2014 22:17

All of my clothes are murky grey.

Most are mullered beyond recognition. Think how they are washed!

Actually, I didn't know about the vinegar but I have re- dyed black clothes in the past.

Thank you for letting us know about that one. Now we can all be as smart as you. Well some maybe. I will still be clad in murky grey!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Mar 2014 22:20

An asprin helps to keep white clothes bright. Do not take it - put it in machine!!!!! ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Mar 2014 22:27

lol Sharron..... I'm not smart........ it's something I've always done because granny & mum did it....... also my aunts & cousins.

Aspirin for white clothes? That's new to me, must try it. I use NapiSan in the wash......... but I take an aspirin every day, maybe my insides are sparkling white? :-D

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 12 Mar 2014 21:12

Have been using Laundry Cleanser in the final rinse with fabric conditioner over winter when everything has to go in the tumbler.

Unlike previous generations most of us now don't boil whites so the anti bacterial liquid seems like a good idea.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 12 Mar 2014 23:12

At one time there were several versions of washes for black clothes but I can't find them anywhere now - I think they did slow down quite considerably that faded murky look for all my black stuff.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Mar 2014 02:23

I still use Reckitt's Blue!

It used to come in a little block, very messy; now it's in a bottle.

One drop in the rinsing water is enough to brighten whites.

Two or more drops and you will have blue streaky washing.

:-D