General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Urn Will Turn You into a Tree After You Die.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 12 Mar 2014 21:29

OMG!!.. A Genealogist dream come true? I can become my own Family tree for real!!!!
And get planted in my kids garden...then they will have to water me and take care of me..... :-D

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/this-awesome-urn-will-turn-you-into-a-tree-after-you-die

What happens is the seeds grow in your ashes........... :-S

Allan

Allan Report 12 Mar 2014 21:46

Would you come back as an Ash tree, Mr_M? :-D :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Mar 2014 21:47

Great idea....I'm in!

Mersey

Mersey Report 12 Mar 2014 21:50

I actually love the idea :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 12 Mar 2014 22:16

We could create a GR forest........... :-D :-D....... :-S

Mersey

Mersey Report 12 Mar 2014 22:19

My tree would only have one side of branches the way things are going. I would stick out a mile :-D ;-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 12 Mar 2014 22:43

Haha Allan.......... :-D

Could hide you in the middle Mersey :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Mar 2014 22:46

I told Himself that if (when?) I go first I want my ashes scattered on the golf course.

That way I can keep an eye on him every week.

:-D

I like the idea of a tree. I could have my own birdies..... eagles, whatever. :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Mar 2014 23:59

Says in one of posts on link that you need a license to scatter ashes. I would like to become a London plane.

Will I need a pilot's license :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Mar 2014 00:18

ooo...errr do you really need a license to scatter ashes?

How would anyone know - unless you did it on a windy day in a back garden and splattered the neighbours washing?

.......didn't actually scatter them, more like subtly bury them without paying....... :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Mar 2014 01:03

Think it's one of those laws that nobody takes any notice of. As you say, Maggie, nobody is aware. And it certainly doesn't hurt anybody

:-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Mar 2014 01:31

Mum unfortunately died in Portugal just before Christmas 2012 (was due to come back to UK in 2013). She was cremated, as we couldn't get out there.
We buried some ashes in Portugal with her dogs, and with her husband, but we knew she wanted a woodland burial, so bought some ashes back and buried them in the same woodland (though not the same place) my brother in law was buried in.

No, I don't feel guilty.

Brother in law's (catholic) mum died years before his dad. He wanted to put his dad's ashes in his mother's grave. The quote for this was £300.
One night, after a few Guinesses..............

..........it cost him nothing and hurt no-one, and the new rose looked lovely :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Mar 2014 02:19

I sent the link to my brother............ he said he wants his ashes scattered at sea.

Who would know if that was done?

A few mates on a fishing trip................ ...........Bye <3

I've heard some airlines are very fussy about travelling with ashes....... I wonder why. If they were in a suitcase, how would they find out?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Mar 2014 08:21

Dust to dust, ashes to ashes. Once lived in a house on outskirts of Whitchurch, Salop where they had buried their Roman dead from the garrison town of Mediolanum nearby (23 miles north of Wroxeter and 23 miles south of Chester). Kept finding urns (about 14" high) containing human ashes.

Urns went to a museum if ok. Ashes went to :-S :-S

But we had a fountain commemorating the discovery of urns in our garden in 1897. And two huge London planes planted in 1897 when house was built. And some beautiful roses in our garden :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Mar 2014 09:35

I suggested to my brother that his ashes are scattered at sea near a small town in South Australia............... named Coffin Bay.

;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Mar 2014 09:48

Ashes give you a cough. Though Its not the cough that carries you off its the coffin they carry you off in to Coffin Bay.
:-(

Not really a :-D :-D :-D <3 <3 <3 thread, is it :-S

Mersey

Mersey Report 13 Mar 2014 09:52

I have alot of hope for new branches Mr M so lets wait and see, a little too early just yet ;-) ;-) :-D