General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kindle help required please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 23 Mar 2014 11:01

Forgive me if I ramble. I have just bought a Kindle Fire HD. I have turned it on, done the language and country bit OK. But when I try to register it tells me I have no internet/wifi connection. OH had a go and now I.'m
stuck on a page that says along the top: books, shop, films etc. Can anyone please advise me what to do regaarding internet connection etc. I am with BT internet and the Kindle came from Amazon.
Many thanks
Phyll

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Mar 2014 11:04

Hi Phyll I have a kindle Fire HD.....Is it not asking you for a password?? :-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 23 Mar 2014 11:14

Not yet, it would seem. It keeps telling me to register but I can;t seem to even do that.
Thanks for your reply.
Do I have to connect the Kindle to a router or anything like that. I am so useless with this sort of thing.
Phyll

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Mar 2014 11:16

When I bought mine it came with a little booklet and on the back was a helpline number (no longer have the booklet).

I had trouble setting up too, so I called them (at least twice!) and they were very helpful.

So if you do have that booklet give them a call. They will talk you through the process and also email you the same instructions. :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2014 11:17

I had terrible trouble when I first tried to use my kindle.

Check with neighbours, see what wifi is best in your area.

All the "big" companies don't work here........ I'm connected to "two dogs"... what a terrible name!

The Kindle help people are good......... and patient. If you call the number (probably different to the one I have in Oz) they will call you back within a minute.

Good luck.

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Mar 2014 11:17

See if this helps Phyll

Your Kindle Fire automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks and wireless hotspots that broadcast their network name. Some networks are open for everyone to join, while others require a password to connect. You can connect your Kindle Fire to your home Wi-Fi network, public Wi-Fi networks, and some enterprise private networks.

Swipe down from the top of the screen to show Quick Settings, and then tap Wireless.
Verify that Airplane Mode is Off.
Tap Wi-Fi.
Next to Wi-Fi, tap On.
Tap a network to connect to it. If you see a lock icon, a network password is required. Enter the Wi-Fi network password, and then tap Connect.

Note: If you don't know the password, check with the person who set up the network. This password is not your Amazon account password.

After you connect to a Wi-Fi network, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the network again when it's in range. If more than one network is in range, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the last network used.

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Mar 2014 11:20

Phyll if you cant do it with this...pm me :-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 23 Mar 2014 11:21

Thank you all for your kind help.
Mersey, I don't have quick settings, only settings.

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Mar 2014 11:24

You have quick settings its just you cannot see them because you are not used to the screen.......I will pm you......once you have done this you will be good to go and will be able to enjoy your kindle :

Pm on its way :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2014 11:33

I used to wander around the house, watching for the little black blocks to appear!

Go upstairs.......... go to bedroom window......... open window..... yay, got the blocks.

Took the kindle for a drive around town......... up to the lookout on the hill... no black blocks........... up to the club, where there is a tower on the roof........ no blocks!

arrrrrrrrrrgh. I think the two dogs bit the kindle, made it pay attention :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Mar 2014 12:24

My Wifi was not too hot, so on OH's and mine I download using the USB cable, its a bit of a pfaff, but works. And most of my books are on my Kindle which I have by my bed.

But on my Tablet (which remains downstairs) the wifi I have now is great and books download immediately.

So never fear there is a solution :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Mar 2014 14:31

see if you can find a five year old kid - he'll know what to do :-D :-D :-D