General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SPRING & FALL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 31 Mar 2014 09:44

I WONDER IF THERE HAS BEEN A STUDY OF THE CLOCK
CHANGES EFFECTS OF FOLK,
IT ALWAYS MADE ME FEEL AWFUL FOR A FEW DAYS,
IT MUST HAVE EFFECTS ON OTHERS,I FEEL AS IF
MY HEAD IS BUNGED WITH COTTON WOOL AND SO TIRED,
PLEASE STOP CHANGING THE SPRING FORWARD AND FALL BACK, :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 31 Mar 2014 09:52

We have to grin and bear it Dizzi..............the only time I found it a pain was when my children were little.

It is to have maximum daylight when most of us are up and about.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 31 Mar 2014 09:53

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/spring-forward-100-years-of-british-summer-time

This is an interesting link :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 Mar 2014 10:26

Am I right in thinking that years ago the clocks changed on a Sunday and not a Saturday.

I can remember feeling truly awful on a Monday, way back when.

But these days it does not seem to affect me at all.

Graham

Graham Report 31 Mar 2014 12:19

You've got me dazed & confused now. The clocks change on a Sunday now, don't they? :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2014 17:28

it's usually in the early hours of the Sunday morning - during the last war it was double summer time and the clocks were put forward two hours

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 31 Mar 2014 18:24

The clocks change at 1am when they go forward and 2am when they go back. It's the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October.

Contrary to popular belief, it was not brought in for farmers during either the first or second world wars as such - the idea was put forward by William Willett who thought people should make more of the early sunlight - farmers included - and we have been changing clocks since 1916.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 31 Mar 2014 18:52

It says that in my link :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Apr 2014 14:33

Some people don't click on links (for obvious reasons)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Apr 2014 16:16

According to surveys the majority of people living in England would prefer to have the time on CET basis all the year around. This would have the extra advantages of a significant reduction in road accidents ( source: Transport & Road Research Lab. ) and a boost to business by being on the same time as most the rest of the EU.

The Scots though are against and HMG allow them a veto.
No doubt after September 2014 the Scots will be allowed to veto UK decisions on the pound, white heather, naval ship building, HST2, fried Mars bars and so on.

I used to live in Singapore which is close to the equator and there is no summer/winter. I never really got used to there being no dusk, just a very abrupt transition from day to night.