General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

new laptop - advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Apr 2014 10:00

Now that XP will shortly stop updating I need to buy a new laptop. The Dell Inspiron 1300 I have is probably about seven years old and is used for family history, banking, buying tickets etc., writing the occasional letter asnd storing photographs.

We use Mozilla Firefox.

The broadband is very slow here as we are out in the country so we cannot watch anything on line.

Most of the new laptops are probably way beyond my technical capabilities so I am looking for something simple and reliable.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Apr 2014 10:13

If you hunt around a bit you will be able to find a new laptop with Windows7 Home installed which will meet yr needs far better than Windows 8.x.

Windows 8 assumes a fairly good data connection and is unusable without it.
The new interface, even in the 8.1 version, will drive you nuts.

Another option is to buy a Windows7Home DVD - they can be found on eBay for £ 30-40 (make sure you get the hologram disk) and install it on yr laptop.

Or just keep yr existing laptop and install Linux Ubuntu or Mint. Free.

If you want to be radical get a Chromebook. It will do all you want BUT again needs a decent internet connection.

XP itself will go on working perfectly well. Several security firms will go on offering AV and firewall. Of these the best is AVAST ( free ).

don't panic

Microsoft have though and will be releasing a completely revised OS during 2015. Heads have rolled. This latest and greatest OS will be even more dependent on a fast ethernet connection so don't hold yr breath.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Apr 2014 10:33

Hi Rollo

Thanks for the advice. At the moment I have F-secure installed - will this keep me safe after 8th April?

Having tried a "notebook" I find that the keyboard on a 15" is more to my liking and the screen size is better.

Thanks again

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 2 Apr 2014 10:45

I think F-Secure are only offering support for corporate customers until July 2016 but I am not sure about home users.
F-Secure will continue to protect your computer but if support is withdrawn (ie no more updates) then the protection provided will be less and less effective.

If, as Rollo suggests, you go for Ubuntu which will work perfectly well on your existing machine, it can be made to look like Windows.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Apr 2014 11:04

I bought a laptop direct from Dell with windows 7 installed on it This was a couple of months ago so they are available