General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wonder how long DVLA will take now.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 2 Apr 2014 11:42

Laddo applied for driving licence end of June because his autism is a condition you have to notify them of we were prepared for a medical and lo and behold dr calls as hes had a form from them asked Nath questions over phone and sent form back. By September still not heard so rang and yes was taking longer than expected as they had a backlog would be another 12 weeks which took us up to December, that came and went so rang again still a delay but they would make his a priority. Sent a complaint about length of time as 8 months was ridiculous for a licence not a good response t that but then he gets another letter want another medical with their approved dr. had to done within 6 weeks. The fuss I had getting the appointment for him and he had it today just within the 6 week limit. Sent him in he then came and got me and dr asked me the questions while watching Nath and said this really is overkill by DVLA. Even asked me as his mother that knows him best would I be happy with him driving, well I am even prepared to take him out like I did Lissy after hes had a few lessons to give him practice so yes I am.

Now I know they have to be careful but hes not on any medication and surely his own Dr knows him better than a stranger whos ticked a few boxes on my answers. Now wonder how much longer it will take to get an answer as to whether he is allowed a licence or not if not I still owe him a 17th birthday present as that was driving lessons and his 18th is almost here so could be expensive time lol.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Apr 2014 12:17

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/out-and-about/driving.aspx

The biggest practical problem is how would yr son react to the typical rule breaking behaviour of , say, white van man in a hurry on the North Circular road ? Or a pedestrian jaywalking with his iPhone up loud. I was recently rammed in IKEA by an autistic person for "loitering with my trolley and getting in the way". Said guy was flattened by IKEA security who were very reluctant to let him go when I declined to make any complaint ...

Insurance companies and driving instructors must be informed about ASD otherwise yr son would be driving without insurance. It is NOT legal for anybody to insure a car in their own name for a son or daughter to drive when said son or daughter is the main driver. This rule is enforced, usually after a police stop or an accident.

People with ASD who are able to get a driving licence will usually qualify for a motability car which also overcomes the insurance problem.

It is difficult to get sign off for the license because in today's claiming culture nobody wants to sign off for a guy who ( they think ) might have a bad accident. In the case of an accident the other party would have a right to access the records and could have a legal claim against whoever signed off for the license. Hence your delays.

However there is no evidence that ASD people are more risky and thus refusing them insurance is illegal. That doesn't make it any easier though.

good luck

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 2 Apr 2014 12:38

Daughter teaches horse riding and she teaches autistic kids from a special school one day a week, the teacher of them asked if she minded teaching them and she said no as her brother has it and they got talking about driving as Lissy said the trouble he was having getting a licence, teacher said all those at school of the age drive and can do it as everything has to be precise so althought hey dont see danger as much as us they are good because they follow the rules to the letter.

If he does get licence am going to see if Lissys teacher is still teaching as she was so good with Lis who was very nervous and had no confidence so think she would be a good choice but always would mention his autism even told the guys when he did one of these outdoor activities things which was archery (he loves archery) as although he wouldnt be a problem I like people to be aware just in case theres a problem.

Off to look at the website you put up.