General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Low-Fat?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Apr 2014 06:44

Maybe so........ but what about the sugar?

I just read this article....

http://food.ninemsn.com.au/healthyrecipes/newsandfeatures/8826276/low-fat-foods-contain-20-percent-more-sugar

Scary ..... we think we're eating the right stuff, but new stories appear all the time, don't eat this, don't eat that....... and a few years later the story changes AGAIN!

I stopped using margarine years ago - it's one molecule away from being plastic! Margarine is grey until yellow dye is added.... and what do they put in the "special" ones, like olive oil spread, to make them solid? I'll stick to natural butter thankyou........ I only have a scrape!

Low-fat yoghurt & cheese? I've been eating them for years.......... I think I'll switch to full-fat ones, just not eat so much lol :-D

What do you think?

<3

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Apr 2014 11:29

I find it quite amusing that people will tell me they don't make rice pudding any more because they appear to think there is some sort of wickedness involved in eating it but they will buy a pot of Muller Light rice pudding.

Now, I can make at least twelve portions of rice pudding, the fat content of which and the sugar or sweetening aspect of which I am in total control of for under a pound.

People who are far too full of self control and presumably superior in their nutritional learning to me to do this will spend fifty pence on a pot of rice and ingredients of somebody elses choosing because it is labelled "light".

Likewise they will happily buy a ready meal containing who knows what but regard my dumplings (flour, baking powder, water) as some kind of fat filled anathema.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Apr 2014 13:06

"light" usually means light in taste or colour, nothing to do with the fat content. I usually buy light olive oil, because I find the "heavy"? too strong in taste. I also use macadamia oil, lovely stuff!

I buy as few ready-made things as possible. They're usually too salty for my taste buds anyway.......... and they taste like cardboard.

When I'm not well & OH takes over the cooking we have some strange meals. He knows now I refuse to eat anything that is crumbed (unless I've put the crumbs on)........... I'd rather have an egg on toast than eat some of the shop rubbish.

I have two big tubs of low-fat yoghurt in the fridge.......... when they're gone I'm pigging out on the real stuff :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Apr 2014 06:32

I recorded a programme last evening from Channel 4 called The Truth about Low Fat Food which looks interesting, will watch it tonight or tomorrow night. I keep trying to tell my o.h. that low fat things aren't necessarily good for him as he diabetic and they often have more sugar in but it doesn't seem to sink in!

He sometimes takes ready meals to use at work if he is on a late shift and one recently, chicken and bacon pasta, had chicken in that came from Thailand. It was from Tescos I think and I was horrified to see that the chicken wasn't British. There is so much small print to read when shopping these days.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Apr 2014 08:14

Nothing to do with food, but a couple of months ago I bought toothpaste...... made in Brazil...... bought some more toothpaste last week... looked all over the shelves, but couldn't find any made in Australia! The one I wanted was made in Thailand.

I will not buy fish from Asia..... I know (some places) prawns are kept in water that has a sewer emptying into it! We know in Oz that if frozen veggies are marked "product of New Zealand" there's a good chance they were grown in China... where they use chemicals that are banned elsewhere. The only frozen veggies we buy are peas..... but I also use dehydrated peas.

I'd love to grow more veggies & fruit, but the birds, bats & possums already get more than we do.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Apr 2014 08:44

I was reading quite an interesting article once about gardening where the writer was saying that it was not necessary to use pesticides because the plant had always had it's pests, that was what it was here for, to feed them as well as us and that it would be more productive to plant a greater number of plants to accommodate them.

I do try to tell myself that white butterflies are beautiful, which they are, and that they would not be pleasing my eye if they were not also encouraging their children to destroy my cabbages.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Apr 2014 09:00

My daughter developed type1 diabetes just over a year ago and it was a real learning curve for our entire family.

Carbohydrates are converted to glucose in the bloodstream and therefore,t he insulin that she needs to inject is calculated on her carbohydrate intake.

Every now and then, due to hormonal changes, or mis calculation on insulin, her blood glucose drops too low and she needs to eat something with a high carb/sugar content to quickly raise her blood glucose level .
( Usually a sweet cereal bar or a small can of non diet coke does the trick)

Her workplace is full of older people who think they know it all and give her a
" ticking off"
The usual phrase is :
" You should not be eating that stuff.. you are diabetic"

She has tried explaining it but, cannot convince them that Type1 and Type 2 diabetes are not the same!

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Apr 2014 09:09

They could just mind their own business really couldn't they?

I was with a partner who was type 1. He had been for years but he was rebellious and would insist on going to a café for his breakfast.

The old harridan, one of those who have to know better than silly young women and knows how to treat a man ( the old bag!) would insist that he needed feeding and would give him a whole big tin of beans with his breakfast every day.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Apr 2014 09:40

Daughter has recently attended a course called DAPHNE.
( Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating)

Some attendees have had type1 for well over 20yrs, and the course was a revelation to them!.
Others like my daughter found it easier because her insulin regime has been based on DAPHNE since the onset of Type1 in Jan last year.

Edit:
Just looked at the label and large tin of baked beans alone would require about 5 units of insulin.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Apr 2014 09:49

Why is it that, when we were children, potatoes were good for you and 'an apple a day kept the doctor away', but now, we're expected to eat a whole tree for the same experience?

No, sorry, 'experts' have changed their minds - we should eat an orchard.......

Stop that - fruit is now fattening - we need to eat a trolleyful of vegetables - but no potatoes......

Personally, I'm back to unhomogenised milk and 'proper' butter. Yes, I've put on weight, but I've also hit the menopause, and my body shape has changed (like it does).
I realised the other day, I've put on a stone about every 10 years - but my starting point (at 20) was 6 stone.
To be 20 and 6 stone nowadays, I would probably be being treated for some sort of eating disorder. The only 'disorder' I had then was only eating when I was hungry and stopping when I felt full!

So, to be 58 with a BMI of 25 - I'm pretty chuffed
:-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Apr 2014 10:01

HA Ha Maggie.
I am 2yrs younger than you and have also hit the menopause.
You gained roughly a stone every 10yrs from the age of twenty?
Well done you!
I have gained almost all of that in the last 2years and...it all on went onto my upper body.
Size 10 jeans fall down and a14- 16 top can be too tight.

I am becoming the shape that I always dreaded! ( an easter egg on stilts)
No leggins and floaty tops for me.. LOL

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Apr 2014 10:10

LOL Maggie, My Missis

is around 6 stone, but about 5ft 2" looks as if she comes from, (dare I say it? )Biafra.,..when in hospital they were concerned and said she needed a better diet...

I am 5 ft 4 ish and am better than 11 stones and Jean eats the same as I do(similar sized meals) her metabolism is vastly different to mine, some how she burns it all off...whereas my weight is reasonably stable..
she has always been small never bigger than an 8 (twice......LOL)
but for years is a 6

she never ever took sugar in tea but I used to be a two scoops person, now its a very flat shallow spoon for me.
cant stand tea without sugar but just the small amount is enough, these days

Bob

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Apr 2014 10:16

Low Fat - High In Sugar
Low Sugar - High in Fat

Disovered this donkeys years ago when on a very strict diet, purely by just reading the labels.

Although it is a real pain, it does pay to read the labels.

And in many cases it is easier to buy the regular food. IE Mince we buy the ordinary mince and drain off the fat or use kitchen rolls to soak it up.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Apr 2014 10:27

Ah Glasgow Lass, my weight is (obviously) the muffin top - and a lovely rotund front! (beer belly from below my boobs)
ONLY floaty, loose tops for me :-S

Looking at photo's of ancestors, the genetical form for the female over 50 is to be a barrel on normal sized legs :-0

Bob, I'm now a stone heavier than I was the day before I gave birth to my second child (I was 9 stone). Less than a week after having her, I was 7 and a half stone (gained half a stone, but who cared?)

I was an agricultural labourer once. I put weight on then. I ate like a horse, but the 'weight' was all muscle - I still looked half starved!!