General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Learning to play the violin as an adult

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 12:03

Can anyone give advice on this? I adore Hungarian gypsy music (think of the music on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings and you're nearly there), and have it in my head that Im going to learn the fiddle. How long does it take to pick up, if you're practising every day?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Apr 2014 12:10

Depends a lot on the neighbours, methinks!!

and how much of an 'old' adult you are,

At 75.
I am trying to Re-learn the guitar, but finger /wrist flexibility.......isn't there any more

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 12:20

Is it loud? Hmm hadnt thought. They're out all day so should be ok,.... hopefully. :-D Good luck with the guitar.

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Apr 2014 12:59

My dad was a left-handed fiddle player. Good at it too!

If you happen to live miles from your nearest neighbour, Bag Pipes can have a smoothing effect.

Not much help - am I?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2014 13:22

Well we had a next door neighbour with a beautiful singing voice who would accompany herself on the piano .

Had a singing /practicing session very afternoon for about two hours and to be honest we got very tired of it . You couldnt have the sitting room door open or sit on the patio on a nice day and have a conversation because she drowned it all out .

Even through the house walls she was overpowering . Lovely lady but when she did ask one time if it intruded I had to say yes it does to be honest.

She cut it back to half hour every day and I would do hoovering to block it out

Merlin

Merlin Report 22 Apr 2014 13:43

Pop down the benefits Office, :-D :-D I,m sure there,s some one there who could teach you to play the Fiddle. :-D :-D

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 13:43

Lol Shirley :-D Oh dear...can imagine you sitting on patio while a female version of Pavarotti bellows out over the neighbourhood........ I may have to practise in my daughters loft room then, should be ok there. Saying that, nobodys considerate of us (we have children but tolerate next doors music sometimes) so I shouldn't be too worried really.

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 13:44

Merlin, I dont know where the benefits office, considering that I DONT USE IT. Deja vu, surpise surprise.

Merlin

Merlin Report 22 Apr 2014 13:57

RStar, it was meant as a joke,no offence meant,if it was SORRY.**M**.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 22 Apr 2014 15:30

When I was growing up, I think I would have preferred a neighbour who played the violin, for neighbours we had, a father and four sons who were all members of the local brass-band :-(

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Apr 2014 16:39

There are several sites about it on Google, but this one looked interesting. All seemed to agree that it took a long time to be any good.

http://www.taylordavisviolin.com/news/blog/my-advice-for-learning-the-violin/

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 17:48

Thankyou Andysmum, I'll have a look now. x

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 22 Apr 2014 18:17

I am a musician..pianist...and whatever instrument you learn to play,it is the practice that's so important..even professionals have to play regularly...don't see that age has too much to do with it if you are really keen,which to be honest,a lot of children are sent to music lessons,but don't like the practice.
I used to teach and didn't enjoy the lessons when they didn't practice and it was apparent ,so would speak to parents as it was wasting their money.older pupils came for lessons because they wanted to learn,so took it more seriously.
Do it now,before you get older and regret it.

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 18:30

:-) thankyou Brenda, wish I'd done it years ago. At least I've got time to practise every day now. So true that kids who learn purely because their parents want them to just dont get into it and hence haven't got that passion. It must be lovely to play the piano.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 22 Apr 2014 19:07

Rstar...romanystar?
I have played the piano since I was 7 and am now almost 79..so a long time...I remember rebelling when I was little ,and my mother drawing the curtains when children called for me to play out.had to practice for an hour...very strict...but it payed off and I ended up with a degree playing classical.

Early 20s played in a jazz band,much to my fathers disapproval,but had some lovely times in the late 50/60s,Beatles being our supporting band at times.
I was too busy ,just playing for myself from late 70s......until recently!

I was caring for my sick husband for 5 yrs and not able to go out.
He died over 2 years ago,and I have been determined to get out and not mope.
You may laugh when I tell you what I am up to now.

I met up with a trombonist who had worked the same circuit as me all those years ago....didnt know one another,but had lots of mutual friends.
We have now got a group of 5 and practice together once a week.

We have an engagement...freebie ....in a sheltered complex in May....the combined age of the 5 of us is 402!!!
This has caused some laughter in the family...we are calling ourselves either...the Old Fogies...the evergreens...or Recycled teenagers!

So as I said it's never too late!! :-S

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2014 19:15

Yes me Romany :) :-D :-D oh Brenda I did giggle at 402, I'm so pleased for you getting out again because it is important, makes you feel a million times better and I bet your husband will be having a smile. xx
Ps, very impressed at the Beatles supporting you, they were lucky their career took off as it did.