General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Membership fees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 27 Apr 2014 11:37

Can someone tell me if the yearly Standard fees has gone up,thought it was £9-95 last year and they have taken £19-95 off this year.
Wouldn't care I have been a member since 2003.

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 11:46

It has gone up for some but normally just to £15.96 (20% discount) ....did you have a break of more than a month before you renewed?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Apr 2014 11:47

Ann I had the same problem and I joined in 2003 as well. I had numerous emails going back and forward with GR but they continually avoid giving a straight answer to a straight question.

I'm beginning to think that you are charged according to the colour of you eyes ;-)

Graham

Graham Report 27 Apr 2014 11:59

On the home page (before logging in ) it gives subscription rates as follows:

12 months = £1.67 per month
6 months = £2.50 per month

Actual payment taken in one lump sum.

That means a year costs £20.04 & half year costs £15.00

Graham

Graham Report 27 Apr 2014 12:00

I'm guessing the 20 % discount applies for renewals

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 12:08

When there was a big hoo haa about the price increase a year or so ago...it had gone up to £19.95 less 20% discount which was £15.96 If Ann has been charged £19.95 it looks to me that she has had a break from continuous subs.

My subs run out at midnight and my fee are £15.96 if I want to renew.

Edit - If it has been continuous and they have taken £19.95 I would complain....but you may not get anywhere with getting it back to the old rate

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 27 Apr 2014 12:20

I'm on continuous payment so yearly fees still the same. Not had any breaks.

~~~~ to Ann... lovely to see you here again and hope all is well with you & family

Mau XX

Thelma

Thelma Report 27 Apr 2014 13:04

17/4/2014
You have been billed £7.96 GBP for a 12 month Standard membership.

Not really fair that we all pay different prices but I would not have renewed if mine had gone up.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 27 Apr 2014 13:25

Thank you all and Hi Maureen. I haven,t had a break and my renewal is 10/05/14 so I,m well in hand.I have sent them a message so will see what they say.
This was for standard membership Thelma. But thanks

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 13:55

If your subs are not due for another two weeks why have they taken the money already?

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Apr 2014 13:58

Renewed on 23 April for 7 pound 95.
Have been a continuous member since 2007.
It´s very unfair not to explain why the vast differences in the subs, but for once I seem to be on the winning side, so I´m not complaining.
I would if it doubled though.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2014 14:06

I can't see why there are so many different subs. As in the previous three years mine was £6 for 12 months and even I was surprised it had stayed the same. (Surprised but not sorry)

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 27 Apr 2014 15:31

I have messaged them and now realise that is the increase because I changed my card,so do they think I am a new member also told them I will try and stop the payment tomorrow.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2014 16:25

I think if anything changes, such as card details, they use it as an excuse to change your subs.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Apr 2014 17:01

Last year, when my card changed, I found that the old box for entering new card details had disappeared.

I put on Suggestions that it should be reinstated (with no luck) and in the meantime received from Genes a long reply about how to change my card no. Briefly this meant pretending to be a new member!!!

They then took the payment immediately, which was in the previous calendar month. It didn't make any difference to me, but it might have done, so I protested strongly.

They did take the right amount, £7.96 for 6 months, and for the right period, but why can't they reinstate the "new card details" box on my account page?? :-S :-S

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 27 Apr 2014 17:18

i just had a look at the email and my subs are £7.96 GBP for a 6 month Standard membership. and that was last month

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Apr 2014 17:34

Can`t be because of a card change.
Mine had expired & I had to give them the new details.
Still paid 7 pounds 95.
Just to be on the safe side I have saved their e mail of confirmation until I have checked my bank account.

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 1 May 2014 17:22

Hi Ann L from Darlo,

Please PM me if this is outstanding and I will follow up.

Regards

Shelley

Island

Island Report 1 May 2014 17:36

I'd like to see a sensible explanation for wildly different charges here on this thread.

The differences and previous 'explanations' have been far from logical.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 1 May 2014 18:33

Dear Community Manager

Will you also follow up the other 1001 members with similar problems