General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

question for gardeners.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 5 May 2014 16:02

Hubby was using Derris powder as a pesticide as it was organic now you cant get that as been banned what do people use thats sort of organic.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 May 2014 17:09

Alternative to Derris - Allotments 4 All
www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=45944.0?Cached
SimilarI am not sure if this has been asked / answered before, but I am wondering if
anybody has got any suggestions of an alternative to Derris.

Confused over Derris Powder in General Gardening - Page 1 ...
chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38279.0?Cached4 Jun 2009 ... Author Topic: Confused over Derris Powder (Read 6129 times) ... Have they
modified the product so its now a derris substitute, like they did ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 May 2014 17:10

Derris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derris?Cached
SimilarAlso known as derris powder and tuba root, it was formerly used as an organic
insecticide used to control pests on crops such as peas. However, due to studies

Is there another product to replace derris dust or an alternative to use
www.growsonyou.com/question/show/37767?Cached
Similar10 Feb 2011 ... Is there another product to replace derris dust or an alternative to use ... many of
the same insects, but is less easily available in powder form.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 5 May 2014 18:26

thank you Ann will get him to have a look when he comes back from putting his allotment to bed for the night !!!!!!!! and from there walking the dog with Tiddler.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 May 2014 20:36

blend a whole bulb of garlic with two cups of water,,

strain- leave for a day or so,,,,,,,,add a gallon of water and spray the plant base and plants,,,,,,,, use when required,,,,,,for any veg plot,,,,,,,,no your veg dont taste of garlic,nor will your roses smell of it ,,,,,,
:-D :-D :-D,

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2014 05:42

Kay ~ I make a similar spray.

I chop up the garlic & put it in a sock, then put the sock in a spray bottle with water, add a squirt of dishwashing liquid (the soap helps the solution stick to the plants). The sock top should be put to one side, don't put the spray "straw" in it, because bits of garlic get stuck. Keep topping up the bottle with water, until you can't smell the garlic any more, or until the garlic goes horrible.

It works on just about everything........ but my orchids don't like it.

I used to use Derris Dust on tomato plants... until I found out that you shouldn't eat the tomatoes with three days of dusting.

badger

badger Report 6 May 2014 08:11

I find that the ordinary ant powder works quite well ,and seems to keep the pest away from my brassica and carrots ,as long as it's applied as soon as the plants ,or seeds have been put in
.A few ,humble daisy plants are a help too ,so long as they are not over cultivated ,they tend to have Pyrethium in them ,a natural insecticide .
For spraying i use systemic products that don't harm pets and birds ,once it is absorbed ,that is .Fred :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 May 2014 16:08

try googling for "companion planting"

Basil works with tomatoes........ daisies (especially Livingstone) work well with most plants