General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In memory of a man who could have been PM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 May 2014 14:47

It was on this day on the 12th May 1994 that the Labour leader John Smith died at the age of 55 after two serious heart attacks - a man who would have been a Prime Minister for all not just a few.

John had an inherent understanding of how democracy should work for the benefit of all, he also had a deep rooted commitment to do everything within his power to improve the lives of ordinary working people, once you met him, you realised very quickly, that this was a man of integrity who believed sincerely in social democracy.

As a result of John's death, not only did his family lose a devoted and loving husband and father, this country lost the chance, to give this man the opportunity to become Prime Minister, a man who would have brought about a transformation in British Politics that would have seen, not just the privileged few, but the majority - sharing its prosperity.

John loved this country, he loved Scotland, and he loved Iona, and it is fitting that he is buried in the ancient burial grounds of St Oran's Chapel on Iona.

R.I.P. John <3

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 14:51

I saw John Smith's grave when I visited Iona last year OFITG, it was such a simple grave, yet spectacular, Iona is stunning.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 May 2014 15:03

Iona is a beautiful place - I was privileged to work for several years at the Abbey on Iona in the late 60's, my avatar is a photo of me in the cloisters of Iona Abbey beside the "Descent of the Spirit" sculpture by Jacques Lipchitz.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 15:14

Did you live on the Island when you worked there OFITG?

We only visited for a few hours, not nearly enough time to explore, it's a place we'll certainly go back to.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 May 2014 15:28

Lynda - I lived in the the staff accommodation area of The Abbey which is situated above the main entrance to the cloisters.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 12 May 2014 15:33

Wow, what an experience, your life must have been very tranquil I'd imagine. When you left Iona, did it take you time to adjust to the faster pace of life?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 12 May 2014 15:47

When I returned to live on the mainland, Glasgow, it took a few weeks to adjust to the hustle, bustle, and noise of the city, for the first few days traffic was a problem but a couple of near misses quickly reminded me of the green cross code.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 12 May 2014 16:05

Hard to believe that it's been 20years since John Smith died.
Odd, how we can remember exactly where we were when we heard the news?
Me? I was in a check-out queue in Sainsbury!

I agree, he would have made a fantastic Prime Minister.
I've also visited his grave on Iona .

RIP John Smith

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 May 2014 11:32

Wow I did not realise it was so long ago.

My memory was of a real politician who cared and was liked and respected by many.

He was not only a loss the the Labour party but the country in general.

Still missed.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 May 2014 11:49

Alas not only did the Labour Party lose a great leader, the country lost a great politician, in addition, when John died, his vision of a social democracy also died, as this was the day that saw Tony Blair and Gordon Brown abandon social democracy and replace it with New Labour's form of Conservatism :-D