General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 May 2014 22:13

can someone pls tell me how to send someone ive found on here a message trying to trace my birth mother annette wills think i may ov found her but for the love of me cant send message to find out :-( :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 May 2014 22:29

If doing it from a message board (like this one), hover over their picture (or where it would be) and a 'send message' box appears.
If doing it from a name on a tree, click on 'find out more'.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 23 May 2014 22:29

If you click on their name, you will be taken to a new page where you can send a message.

Good luck :-)

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 23 May 2014 22:31

Maggie.....I never knew that, much easier than my way :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2014 00:59

I didn't know either - just pootled about! :-D

I really dislike the way people who run sites assume us 'non-techies' will automatically know how they've 'arranged' things :-|

......get it all the time at work. Find out how to do something - then they change it and don't bother to let us know. :-| :-| :-| :-|

Kense

Kense Report 24 May 2014 09:02

Surely it is slightly easier to click on the name to get the send message box than to hover over the picture and the move to the send icon and click.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2014 09:38

KenSe - you're right! :-D :-D

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 24 May 2014 09:57

Good morning People.
Just as an aside... if you hover on a member`s board name their membership number will also show in the Status Bar. (if you have the Status Bar enabled that is)
:-)

Yours maggiewinchester 451056 ;-)

Ps. it is quite handy to have the Status Bar, as it has a easy access zoom level on it. :-)

Kense

Kense Report 24 May 2014 10:00

"Unknown", if you have not already sent a message, it would be a good idea to get some advice about what you should say in such circumstances. Be prepared for not getting a response.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 May 2014 11:19

Thanks for all your help and advice but it keeps telling me i cant send them a message until they are in my contact list and to add them to my contact list they have to message me.........very confused.com
Sorry for being such a newbie

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 11:50

I can see you have her in you tree Andrew

But I cannot see her in anyone elses's tree...even one of her own....so where have you found this?

I take it she wasn't born in this country? as there is not a matching birth to the year you have her born

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 May 2014 12:27

thanks for reply jax i found her in England & Wales marriages 1837-2008,she was 16 when she had me and im 44 so that should make her 60 so born in 1954,but after a quick search of birth records your right it comes up blank.
i have found a annette wills who married a patrick i mcnally in 1971 from the same area as i live and is around the same age,i found there address through a property seach......any help is greatly received

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 12:30

So she isn't in a tree? You don't have her born 1954 in your tree

You cannot send messages to a record

If you have found an address, write to it

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 13:21

Where have you got that name from Brian?

Sirius

Sirius Report 24 May 2014 13:34

Brian I think you are looking at the wrong birth there.

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 13:34

If you think that could be her...it looks like she may have remarried still living in the same area

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 13:41

That's his adopted name Brian

He has his birth name in his tree its Christopher

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 13:56

Andrew I will send a private message with her possable name and address now if you havnt already found it.

Good luck if you do write to her

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 May 2014 19:38

yeah just to clear things up i was born jan 69 christopher wills birth mother annette wills and adopted oct 69 and was given my new name of andrew moncaster,i was told from a early age about the adoption.
When my dad died 3 years ago i emptied his safe and found letters from the social services about my adoption EG name and age of birth mother nothing about father...thanks for any help