General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mobile Phones

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 16:20

HI

Am looking to buy a new mobile phone. The main reason I want one is for the camera. Can anyone suggest one that takes nice photos

Thanks

Jane

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 16:25

I suppose it depends on how much you want to pay

I have sony xperia Z which is 6 months old but they have updated it twice in that time so the new model is twice as much ....the camera is 13mp

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 16:29

Thanks Jax.

I don't want to buy a top of the range one as I will mainly be using it for photos. I just want one that gives good pictures..

Jane

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 16:31

I had a quick look today and the ones we saw only had 5mp so I was a bit concerned about the quality of the pictures. I have a good SLR camera but just want this to go in my bag so I have one with me all the time.

Jane

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 16:43

Apart from this mobile the last 3 camera phones I have had, I was never able to work out how to transfer pics onto my computer.....they were all Samsung and two fell down the toilet...so decided no more Samsungs :-D

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 16:50

oh dear- Perhaps I will stay clear of them then.

Jane

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 16:55

Other people don't have problems it's just me....I had my last phone for over a year and never worked out how to do anything I could take a photo, text and call....as for the internet never worked that out.....but this one I have had no trouble doing anything

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 17:01

I'm not very good with technology so I need it to be fairly simple.

Jane

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 May 2014 17:02

Ya just plug them in to the computer n click n they transfer,

samsungs are pretty good, so are blackberrys

but id highly recommend the iphone, I know you say you don't wanta top of the range but you get what you pay for ,

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 17:08

Thanks StrayKItten. I will take a look at them.

All the best

Jane

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 17:11

Its all well and good saying you plug them into the computer and they transfer.....they would not, even HID couldn't do it and he is more teckie than I am...but that was a bottom of the range Samsung smartphone that I was talked into getting from Virgin

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 17:47

Best I do my homework properly then.

Thanks

Jane

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 17:55

There is a lot out there if you google....I personally do not like Samsung nor would I want an iphone....but that's me

I think I would rather not be advised incase I was disappointed.....I read a lot on the phone I got before hand, didn't know anyone with one.....but it fitted with everything I wanted

Large screen

Waterproof

Decent camera

Jane

Jane Report 24 May 2014 18:06

Thanks Jax. I will have a good look around before making my mind up.

All the best

Jane

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 24 May 2014 18:20

I love my Samsung - got it because I wanted a better camera and it has served me well in the few months I have had it. No problems transferring pictures on to computer.

My sister had a Nokia lumia, it had a very good camera but sis is a technophobe and went back to an old phone lol.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 May 2014 20:20

yeah the nokia lumia confuses me too lol as does windows 8 on the lappy,

samsungs are great little phones, i have a few friends who have them, some with virgin also, and have had no problems, i have the samsung galaxy tablet, and i love it, i also have an iphone which i use for mainly taking pictures, they are expensive, but ya can get some great contact deals about now, on most phones, depending on what you want it for,

id defo do some research online before you choose, as everyones experiences differ,

:-D

jax

jax Report 24 May 2014 20:59

I have had Samsung since 2004 this last one which I hated was the Galaxy y....horrible thing, couldn't type on it, screen and keyboard was too small...plus couldn't work out how to use the internet on it... as well as the photo problem glad I dropped it down the loo in the end :-D

My sister has the Samsung S3 mini and raves about it ( I know she has had an iphone) and ex has an S4 I think......but after my last experience it was time to change makes and have not been disappointed so far.....

There are so many to choose from these days, it makes it difficult

ann

ann Report 24 May 2014 21:39

I have had a Samsung galaxy s3 for 18 months. It has a 8 mp camera and really good. Think the s4 is out now.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 May 2014 22:25

Yeah samsung seems the cheaper choice, n I have freinds who have swopped from iphone to samsung,

but then iv got others who swear by iphone,

me I loved my blackberry for price n pictures, but peer pressure of the brother made me go iphone haha,

Jane

Jane Report 25 May 2014 06:07

Thanks everyone for your help. I will definately have a good look round before I buy one,

All the best

Jane