General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barely legal drivers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 May 2014 23:01

just been watching.........

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 May 2014 23:03

Two young novice drivers, and going by their performances,

I beg to ask a question........how on earth did these two pass a driving test?
(or have they)?
Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 May 2014 23:27

I watch "Fake Britain" on BBC1 every morning and it's possible to get someone else to take the test for you if you're willing to pay mega bucks for it

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 May 2014 01:02

I have watched that programme before now and seen some appalling drivers but that woman who checks them out still says they are ok and gives them a car. Young people who pass their test should have to use those green plates for at least a year while they gain experience and not just use them from choice, which I think is the way at the mo. And the minute they get caught for any misdemeanour in that first year or two they should have their licences revoked and have to take a further test. Somehow many of them get round the expensive insurance problem or have parents who make things too easy for them, mainly so they don't have to ferry them about any more I suppose.

I saw an article about a lad who kept driving too fast in the car his Dad had paid for for him, £2000, (I think the boy was supposed to be paying him back for the loan) Despite warnings he still drove too fast and crashed the car on it's roof, altho he was not injured. His father was so angry he advertised the car for sale for £1 - not sure if he sold it in the end but it must have taught the lad a lesson.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 May 2014 01:17

Do you mean that when new drivers in the UK pass the test they're let loose?

In Oz they must display P plates for some time (not sure, but it's at least 12 months) and if they're caught speeding they may lose their license..... and definitely NEVER get caught DUI.

A while back, the driving testers stopped telling the newbies that they had not passed the test, because many of them became violent! They are now notified by mail.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 May 2014 01:57

Yes Scozz, straight away. I believe there is a choice of whether or not to use the green P plates but most young people are so arrogant they won't bother. I think they are good because seeing a P plate means you will expect the unexpected with an inexperienced driver.

I like your rules much better.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 May 2014 01:59

UK P plate law

In certain countries, P plates are compulsory, however in England, Scotland and Wales, there is no law or legal requirement stating the compulsory use of P-plates. It is entirely the drivers decision whether they wish to use them or not.

If a driver does decide to use P plates, there is no law stating the duration in which the plates can be displayed. The driver can use them for as long as they wish and until they feel confident enough to remove them.

P plate requirements

The only requirements for the use of green P plates in the UK is that a driver must have passed the UK practical driving test. They are not by law required to use them.

UK green P plate
P plate rules

P plates if used, should be placed one at the front and one at the rear of the vehicle in a conspicuous location. Unlike L plates however, there are no current enforceable penalties for using the incorrect size, incorrectly placed or defaced plates.

Displaying P plates, a good idea?P plates like L plates are used to inform vehicles that a driver has limited experience on the road and may be prone to making mistakes. Drivers reaction to P plates however is often quite different to those displaying L plates.

Although a driver displaying L plates will have slightly less experience than that of P plates, other vehicles know that there is likely an experienced driving instructor sitting next to them with dual controls that has ultimate control on any given situation. As a result, L plate learners often receive a pretty hard time off other vehicles impatiently trying to get past or hurry them along. Sometimes to such an extent, that many driving instructors often think it would in fact be safer not to display L plates at all.

P plate holders often receive a much more lenient attitude towards them however. As with L plate holders, they have very limited experience, but are significantly more vulnerable as they are solely in charge of the vehicle. Other drivers know this and are therefore less likely to bully them due to the possibility of pushing them into making a mistake and potentially causing an accident.

So yes, displaying P plates is a good idea and should be displayed for as long as is necessary to become a confident driver.

P plate driversP plate drivers are significantly more vulnerable than learner drivers as they have very little experience and are completely left to their own devices. Pushing a P plate driver to hurry is likely to stress them and increase the potential of an accident. Upon acknowledging a P plate driver, provide them with a greater following distance and more time to react at junctions and roundabouts.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 May 2014 09:11

I do recall when I was quite a "new" (although I'd been riding motorcycles for several years) car driver in the early seventies, driving the firms van, and was out to a breakdown when I was held up,at a VERY busy Junction,
I was helped out by a police motorcycle outrider, who came alongside, tapped on the window, and said to me "do you need help, only you are holding up the "Old Lady" she wants to get to the races.......".

yep, holding up the Queen Mum was one of my first misdemeanors......

getting a puncture while in Blackwall Tunnel was another.......

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 27 May 2014 12:17

In N. Ireland - the display of an 'R' plate is mandatory for one year after passing a test.

Any minor infringement of traffic laws - restriction period is lengthened. Speed is restricted to 40 mph and this law has been working very well since mid sixties.

Why not here? Have asked many times. Would cut down serious accidents amongst young drivers.