General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is this the latest version of a hard sell?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 27 May 2014 12:03

A couple of months ago I sent for brochure from a popular firm which appears to advertise everywhere. I only wanted it to get some ideas for my son.

After a couple of weeks I had a call - was I interested? I explained - brochure not for me.

Half an hour ago I answered phone and heard a voice going at 30 mph. I thought I had caught the firm's name but not the rest. I queried and I was right - the rest followed - I had an appointment at 3.00 p.m. this afternoon with him but as he had found himself in the area could he come now and see me?

I told him 'I did not have an appointment with him and was very very angry.' Put phone down.

Firm's name? Hilarys Blinds

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 May 2014 12:20

Very naughty of him, although once you send for a brochure they seem to be able to phone, I don't think his technique is right.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 27 May 2014 12:40

I agree Ann. However I cannot stand lies and to say I had made an appointment when I had not. :-|

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 May 2014 12:45

What a cheek :-P

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 May 2014 13:30

How odd, I ordered a catalogue from them a few months ago, online, but apart from a few emails have not had that problem.

:-)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Jun 2014 22:42

Last Thursday I received two calls again - this time within an hour and a half. I absolutely lost it the second time. They informed me that I had cancelled an appointment and I am bellowing back - how could I when I never made one and that hell would freeze over before I did.

Put phone down and went into a bad coughing fit - OH appeared and remarked - well I heard you and I expect half the village did also!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Jun 2014 23:28

good for you - I'm sick to death of these cold calls - both on the phone and at the door

I have a typewritten notice on my front door pointing out that I do not buy at the door and require none of the following -

new windows, new drive, guttering, fascias, trees lopped, change of utility companies, no charity envelopes and no religious groups

In spite of that a local window company - Anglian - chose to knock - on opening the door I went midly ballistic - pointing to the sign - the hapless idiot informed me he was dyslexic - well I wasn't aware that precluded one from reading - however, I read the notice to him and he then asked if I wanted a new drive - well after telling him - and his sidekick to get off my property - in words that a navvy would have used - they left - I phoned the company and left them in no doubt that if they called again I would take legal action

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2014 23:36

I had a cold call last night. I wasn't sure initially as, like me, a (female)friend has 'number with held', so, like a lot of these firms do, I picked up the phone and said nothing. Eventually, a (male) voice said 'Hello', and I just put the phone down.

Chris, there is a customer service number, (probably max rate) OR the reviews.
I'd be tempted to complain about harassment on their review page :-D

edit - having said that, like GR, it's virtually impossible to find out how to post a review!! Immediate alarm bells for me.
Looked on Money saving expert
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2220911
for real reviews!!

Janet

Janet Report 16 Jun 2014 00:56

If you don't like cold callers at the door selling double glazing or new drive,why get wound up, ? ...just say the house is rented....works for me every time.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Jun 2014 08:43

Janet - exactly what I say - 'cos it is! :-D :-D

Also inform anyone who phones me to tell me I have a fault on my computer, that I don't own a computer.

Talk Talk called me once, to 'upgrade' my contract. I informed them that I have no contract with them. This confused the poor soul, as I'm with Talk Talk, but my contract ran out years ago. They offered me a good deal to renew - but never came up with the goods. I refused their next offer, as it involved a 'set amount' for huge downloads - I don't download anything, but still pay them at the original price - it's cheaper than anything new they can offer!

They hate it.

I've been with them so long, my modem/router became too old to pick up broadband. They told me to buy a new modem. I pointed out that I was paying them to provide a service, and that service didn't exist without a working modem. As one came with the (first) package, it was part of the deal. Then went on to mutter about customer loyalty and trading standards.

They sent me a new router :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 16 Jun 2014 09:50

I have found notes on the door seem to be invisable to callers.
We have a note we put on when working in the garden to ring garden bell 50% of the time it is ignored.

We had some marks on the letterbox so we tried a strong cleaner to remove them and put a big notice on the door warning the letterbox had a strong cleaner on it do not use.

Well we washed off the cleaner but in so doing got the door mat wet, so while drying that out we forgot to remove the warning notice off the door, yes later that day the mail came clattering through the letterbox :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Jun 2014 11:33

I love the Convservatory people. I stand there listen intently and then politely ask them

As my bathroom is at the back of the house, behind the kitchen, do you think the neighbours would mind watching me and OH washing and using the loo?

:-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Jun 2014 11:45

I know I shouldn't get wound up, but I do :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 16 Jun 2014 11:53

That is a good idea Maggie - now that I have calmed down.

We do have a card on door issued by Council - re unwanted callers etc.

I have also used on phone re insulation etc - must ask the landlord. It works.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Jun 2014 16:55

I find the notice on my door has no effect. Callers tell me it doesn't refer to them as they are not selling only giving advice - strange but my notice says I don't take advice either :-S

jax

jax Report 16 Jun 2014 19:10

A couple of years ago my OH needed a job and took one trying to sell very expensive Kitchens...unsociable hours and a lot of travelling using own vehicle.

He didn't have anything to do with making the calls he just went to the appointments....He worked for them for about 6 weeks.....he got paid for the 1st week because he was training but after that he had to sell something to make any money.

He found out the cold callers were not really trying to get real interested customers, just as long as they got the appointment made with the promise of a weekend away somewhere just for letting the salesman call.

He never managed to sell anything so walked after arguing with his manager over not trying to pressurise an old lady into having a new kitchen, when she had already said she was about to sell up and move into a home

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 17 Jun 2014 10:33

There are some unscrupulous people in this world Jax thankfully your husband is not one of those.

jax

jax Report 17 Jun 2014 11:34

No he didn't want to do it, but needed a job...the fact it cost him money rather than earning any ...made it even worse.

After that experience I can understand why these people are so pushy......No appointment No money.....No sale No money.

If he had sold a kitchen he would have earned 10% which going by their prices One a month would have been enough