General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I contact GR now please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 29 May 2014 18:08

I can't find the thread where you could ask for help.

I recently changed my password and now I have to sign in every time I change to another site and back. Although GR remembers and shows my email address at sign in it doesn't recognise it and I have to type it and my password in again. As this happens each time I switch from site to site it's beginning to be annoying.

Anyone else got this problem please and anyone know how to contact GR.

Mersey

Mersey Report 29 May 2014 18:29

Hi TS :-D You could email them but Im finding a quicker response straight away by doing it this way.......

Go to the top of the page and Click on HELP

On the left hand side Click on Privacy Tips

3/4 down the page you will see Support Team (IN Green) Click on that

On the left hand side you will see you can ask for help there....

Just change the Department to Support

Then fill in your reason for contacting them......

:-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 29 May 2014 18:32

Thanks Mersey I'll try that.xx

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 29 May 2014 18:34

Make sure you are accepting cookies from the site

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2014 01:04

you might actually get a much faster repsonse by emailing them :-)

[email protected]

Persephone

Persephone Report 30 May 2014 02:52

They are very fast when you send them a question: I had hardly finished my question and sent it on the help one and back came the reply.

I think though there is probably a sign on mine that says "watch this one."

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 May 2014 06:18

Thank you all. I sent them an email via Merseyside suggestion. If I don't get a reply I'll try Persephones link.

****EDIT**** Whoops Sylvia's link, sorry to you Sylvia

Cookies are accepted.

Nothing was changed except my password.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 May 2014 06:58

Your sign in details are remembered within your browser and what GR does is flag the fact that you have elected to stay logged in. What then happens each time you access the site you are automatically logged in, giving the impression that you have not logged out.

Two things need to happen for this to work.

GR ticked to stay logged in
&
Your Browser set to remember passwords for sites - similar but not quite the same as remembering cookies.

Otherwise you will be prompted to enter your details.

Try this:-

1. Check your browser is set to remember passwords. If you are not sure how, post the details of the browser you have and someone will walk you through it.

2. Log out completely from GR using the Sign Out button top right.

3. Log Back in using the Sign In button top right (it will have changed from Sign out to sign in) and enter your email address and password

4. Tick Remember my password on this computer

5. Click Sign In

If you are in the habit of logging in using more than one web address, then you will need to repeat the process for each url you want to use.

Persephone

Persephone Report 30 May 2014 08:13

I have never on any site ticked the Remember my password on this computer.. I have most of mine bookmarked and just click on the bookmark and hey presto there is Persie.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 May 2014 09:34

If the site requires you to enter a password then you will have done so at some stage.

Often you get a pop-up box with the wording such 'keep me logged in' or 'save password for this site' with a little box to tick. The details are then saved within a file on your PC, under the control of your browser. If you know where to look it is possible to see a list of passwords you have saved over time, one reason why you shouldn't do this on a shared computer.

Sensitive sites such as on-line banking, don't allow this for security purposes and whilst they may allow you to store your user name, they force you to enter your password each time you log on.

Graham

Graham Report 30 May 2014 09:43

When I log in the box is already ticked. I untick it, so it doesn't remember my password.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 May 2014 14:20

Thanks all

Finally I think I have sorted out my problem and if I have I owe GR an apology. I was using my iPad when this problem arose. I then tried my PC with the same result. I had forgotten that they were synced together. I think maybe the iPad was the problem and that just maybe it had an update that caused it. After Googling for ages I disabled 'Private' and then put it back and it seems to be okay. I'll keep trying it for a couple of hours and if its still okay I'll send my apologies to GR. I have also got Chrome on the iPad so I might try that to see if its any better.

Wendy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 May 2014 21:14

No further problems I have sent an apology to Alex at GR who contacted me this morning. :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 May 2014 21:15

Glad you got it sorted anyway TS :-D ;-) <3

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 May 2014 22:55

Thanks Mersey x

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 May 2014 07:50

Wait for an Error Message.

That has a link to "support".

Believe me, you'll get an error message!

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 31 May 2014 10:56

To be fair support replied to me within hours although I know this is not always the case.

Persephone

Persephone Report 31 May 2014 11:28

Alex does..