General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The mystery of the wandering clock.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 May 2014 12:07

On our mantel is a Westminster chiming clock bought by my father before I was born (he asked mother if she would like a coat or a clock - she said coat - he loved clocks).

On our sideboard it was quite happy and got moved as neither of us could see the time on our carriage clock. Until a couple of years ago it was fine - just needed a 5p piece under the right hand back foot.

Then it began to walk - one way or t'other along the mantel and began to stop - OH argued it need either a service or the bin - I argued he wasn't positioning it correctly. Our g.son referred to it as the silent clock (he doesn't know it is left to him).

There were many arguments between OH and I - UNTIL a week ago today and the mystery was solved - OH walked in and caught the culprit in the act of moving the clock - our lovely cleaning lady - to dust underneath! After a lot of laughter she has promised to let the dust settle - under the clock. :-D :-D ;-)

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 30 May 2014 13:26

AFTER FIL DIED WE GOT LUMBERED WITH HIS HORRENDOUS CLOCK
COLLECTION,AND I MEAN THAT THE CHIMES SENT SHUDDER'S DOWN
MY SPINE,HE HAD SO MANY AND THEY WAS HUGE AND SO UGLY I HATED
EVEN LOOKING AT THEM,THERE PACKED AWAY SOMEWHERE (GARAGE I HOPE ) BUT DOUGHT IT VERY MUCH,I'M JUST DREADING THERE NEXT APEARENCE,
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEN THE DREADED """BOING BOING BOING"""
FRIGHTENING THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME,

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 May 2014 14:34

Dizzi - as a child when I wakened during the night I used to be comforted by the chime. However, since I inherited it, it has been switched to 'silent' due to other members of the family.

Sell them Dizzi and get something you both like.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 May 2014 14:57

Wow a cleaning lady, you are posh!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2014 16:00

Was going to say the same . A cleaning lady Wow

Mind you am in two minds too whether to get a lady that does as am finding I have less and less time for housework as its in between taking the cat to the vet every morning and helping hubby who has health problems

Been thinking about it but getting cold feet about doing it . Knowing me I would be rushing around like the blue ar..;d fly cleaning as wouldn't want to be judged as dirty !!
before the lady arrived .

Beats the object really . Lol

But back to the original thread .we have a Westminster chime click that my gran bought us as a wedding present in 1957 .
it bongs on each quarter hour and chimes on the hour . Had to switch it off as it was disturbing us in the night.

It has to be wound every 8 days but it doesn't get done now . It sits in my study as an ornament

Wouldn't get rid of it because of its background but it really isn't of this modern world lol

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 May 2014 16:19

I first of all hatched a plot with her - that OH would think that she would be coming a couple of times to catch up on odd jobs - but after the first visit he decided (all by himself that if she could come regularly it would be a good idea).

She comes once every 2 weeks and when a vacancy comes for every week - I think we are top of the list. Hope so. She is a lady in every respect.

Takes a work load off his shoulders. I need help with everything now. Long gone are days when I could bottom my home top to bottom and still have energy left!

Shirley, I try to tidy my desk and OH puts the newspapers and books away. Antiques are not of this modern world to some but in 16 years or so my clock will be antique along with another of Dad's clocks which is now 150 years old.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2014 16:37

I love our clock because gran bought it in 1957 and she died in 1958

I remember sitting with her in mums sitting room in 1958 when I was pregnant with our daughter who was born in sept 1958 .
I would go down to mums after lunch and stop at the bakers and buy some cakes . We would have afternoon tea on a tray that mum bought up to us and we would have a right old chinwag . Some of what she told me helped later when I started family research . But I never did ask what her maiden name was . I had to get my mums birth cert of 1909 to find that out .

She took ill late August 1958 but I developed pre eclampsia so was hospitalised on the day of her funeral so wasn't able to attend it .

Oh my how just talking about a clock brings back memories :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 May 2014 19:52

as a child postwar, I used to turn the hands of my parents Bonaparte Hat clock just to hear the chimes.........I recall my parents wondering why it needed winding practically every couple of days......

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 May 2014 21:53

As a child I used to love it when the door was left open and I could watch the hammers going down.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 31 May 2014 09:13

My OH loves clocks too.

At one stage, we had so many it was like living in a museum.

I remember my mother-in-law staying with us and getting so frustrated with the chiming clock in her bedroom, that she got out of bed and stuffed a handkerchief in its innards!! :-D

Most have long since gone but we have kept the grandfather clock we paid £30 for back in the 70's and a grandmother clock we inherited from my parents which dates back to the early 1700's. We are so used to them, we don't even notice them chiming and, winding them up gives OH something to do ;-)

Cx :-)