General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EU on perfume

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 31 May 2014 10:48

Have they nothing better to put right than the possible allergy in Chanel No 5.

Graham

Graham Report 31 May 2014 10:52

Just what we need - another thread about the EU :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 May 2014 10:57

I'm only allergic to Chanel No: 5 regarding the price :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 31 May 2014 11:15

I have an unopened bottled of Chanel No. 5, Christmas present, I was waiting for an occasion worthy of opening it - perhaps I should keep it if it might have a vintage value as the real thing in the future?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 May 2014 11:39

Has anyone actually read the article? I think not

It is mainly about the labelling of what is in ALL perfumes.

In Chanel No.5 (my favourite perfume by the way) there is an ingredienby which comes from a brown moth, which can cause a bad allergice reaction.

This is just another case of the Daily Fail creating a fuss where none is needed, and people reacting to a NON story.

We should be able to read what is in ALL products we use, how many of us have had to change soap powder, bath products etc., because when using we suddenly find it gives us a rash. If we know what is in all these products it would make not only our lives easier, but should an allergic reaction happen any tests would be far easier and cheaper to do.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 May 2014 11:45

No these EU twits have far better things to target but choose not to.

Isn't the guidance for any cosmetic product to try a test patch? Nothing to stop a prospective purchaser from testing the perfume prior to buying it.

This sort of crud drives me nuts!!!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 May 2014 11:58

It isn't just about the labelling and yes I have read the article in a number of newspapers:

In 2012, an advisory report recommended severely limiting the use of 12 ingredients, regarded as the pillars of the luxury perfume industry – such as citral, found in lemon and tangerine oils; coumarin, found in tropical tonka beans; and eugenol, found in rose oil.
However just three, citral, atranol and chloroatranol, are now likely to be banned with an investigation taking place into the remaining nine to see if small amounts could be tolerated.
"We understand that drastic reductions in the authorised concentrations of these ingredients would have created major disruptions to the industry," said David Hudson, spokesman for consumer policy at the European Commission.
However the perfume industry has complained that even small changes could radically affect scents and sales.
"If we ban citral from perfumes, of which certain elements are allergens, we should ban orange juice. It is absurd. We should not ban nature, only learn how to live with it," said Frederic Malle, who founded the French luxury perfume company Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle.
Mr Malle said he was forced to reformulate about a quarter of his scents due to the forthcoming EU regulations, leading to extra costs – but costs which he found difficult to quantify as they also represented time invested to rework the formulas.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 May 2014 12:38

Price going up?

I'll be buying non-EU perfume from now on.

:-(

Who makes "Taboo"...... i can't sit in the same room as someone who is wearing that, because it give me a terrible headache! BAN IT! :-D

I can't wear Max Factor lipstick.... it gives me blisters...... BAN IT! :-D

I'm allergic to peanuts....... BAN THEM!! :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 May 2014 12:58

I like Channel 5 - although 4 is ok occasionally.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 31 May 2014 13:03

if every think is band that diffrent people are allergic to then what are we left with

Not a lot
:-( :-(

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 May 2014 13:09

I have a severe reaction to scampi, they can ban that!!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 31 May 2014 13:09

Trust the EU to Barge in about the contents of Canal No.5.Meybe the Dutch can help them. :-D :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 May 2014 13:12

*groans* @ Merlin :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 31 May 2014 13:15

its about time we told the EEC where to go
they give us rules that they don't bother enforcing

so why should we

if people are allergic to something
FGS give them the credit not to use it :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 31 May 2014 14:09

Sadly many only find out they are allergic to a product after they have bought it or after years of using it.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 May 2014 17:27

But isn't that just life?

we learn by pushing the boundaries, how hot or cold things are before they cause us discomfort............how close can I get the wing mirror to the garage door before it strikes, how quickly can I get across the road........??before that car strikes...
does that taste nice? or horrible, try it!!

...its a learning game, and the "clever " ones learn quickly...........and the also rans, well, I'm one of those...........

and I've survived............so far...........watch this space!!

Island

Island Report 31 May 2014 17:52

I've always wondered what exactly is the point of perfume? :-S

Within a short space of time the wearer can no longer smell it but stinks lifts and other confined spaces out for everyone else! Not nice!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 May 2014 17:55

I wear Chanel 5. it's in my "rotation" of 4 favourite perfumes. It costs a lot but you don't need very much so it works our better value for money than cheap perfumes.