General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Be careful what you wish for !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 13:02

I've fairly recently made contact with a second cousin once removed, and thought he seemed a pleasant enough fellow and I was really pleased because it is the first 'missing' relative I have found on that side of the family and I was hopeful they could fill in the gaps. Instead I've just been subjected to a violent spew of hate messages, against my nationality and my country of birth. ( and other nationalities also) .

I actually am really shaken by the venom, and felt so ill last night I just couldn't sleep. I can hold my own in most reasonable debates but to be blamed for everything that my country has ever done ( and much that it had no part in ) has thrown me.

Have you ever found a relative that you wish you hadn't?!
:-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Jun 2014 13:17

That's awful.

The nasty individual might make similar comments to other "cousins" he comes in contact with on GR...... I don't think he'll stay long, because nobody will want to keep in contact with him.

I have relatives I wish I wasn't related to..... siblings!

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 13:23

I came across him through another site LadyScozz, but he has already made similar comments on another cousin's FB page so I think it won't be long before he is blocked there as well.

I've only got one sibling and we get on well, perhaps it is harder when you have more than one :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Jun 2014 13:32

I found lovely 4th and 5th cousins last week
we spoke on the phone they where so nice
as have all the others I have met
I am sorry you haven't had the same experience as me
how nasty of them

but dont let this put you off finding more missing family :-( :-(

we all have a few nuts on the tree you have just found yours ;-) ;-)

Island

Island Report 3 Jun 2014 13:33

Not nice to be on the receiving end but maybe he has mental health issues? Not that I'm condoning bad behaviour.

I take it you haven't told him where you live.

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 13:35

lol well I expected a few nuts, given it's my family, but not quite as nutty as that.

Glad to hear you have find some nice cousins JoyBoroAngel. I may be meeting one myself later this week. :-)

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 13:37

Island, I wouldn't have said he had but now I am not so sure, maybe he drinks? . He doesn't live anywhere near but travels a lot, and he does have my address unfortunately as I sent him some family photos :-( Time to move maybe!

Island

Island Report 3 Jun 2014 13:42

I've met some previously unknown second etc cousins via the internet and they've been lovely people. It's some of the closer ones that I already knew who give me cause for concern LOL

Island

Island Report 3 Jun 2014 13:44

Don't worry Sirius, he's most likely all mouth from the safety of his pc.

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 13:53

probably so Island, but there was a violent 'edge' to it that un nerved me,
not so much for myself but other family. Hopefully he will just fade away.

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Jun 2014 14:09

This relative needs to take a lesson on how to make a point without being disrespectful.

It's sad that your new line of family enquiry has come to an end.

Sirius

Sirius Report 3 Jun 2014 14:15

I don't mind anyone making a point robustly Dermot lol, but being held 'personally' responsible on behalf of my nation for everything from the slaughter of native Americans and the slave trade to the wars in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan amongst other things is a bit much for even my broad shoulders to carry.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Jun 2014 15:27

Was this cousin composing emails from within a secure unit? I have a couple who should be in rather than out ;-) they are not included on my tree but inhabit a branch all on their own disconnected from the main trunk.