General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows 8.1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 11:47

A neighbour is having problems downloading windows 8.1....is anyone else having problems with this.
He has a toshiba laptop (new) and can't use windows 8....he's tried all sorts to get rid of it and download W7....no go so now trying 8.1

jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 11:52

If he wants to revert to W7 from W8 then he needs to reformat really.

What problems has he encountered?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 11:56

He says no he has'nt tried that and is abit worried to try. Dual boot did'nt work either. He tried a partition so he can have W7 on one and the 8 on the other part. But what ever he tries won;t work. Its as if Toshiba overide everything he tries:((

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 11:58

He has a dongle. He is trying to download W8.1 from the puter, can't afford the disc.

He does'nt like the W8 and just wants to get rid or add 8.1 or 7....gawd l hope l'm making sense??

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 4 Jun 2014 11:58

Downloaded windows 8.1 some while back seems OK to me.
But, I am not a great lover of Apps, they seem to take ages to load up and do the business. :-(

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:03

Thanks Brian...he does'nt like the apps either, but can get rid of them. Its starts to download 8.1 then stops after about 2 to 4 hrs, then a window pop up says "something happened, windows 8.1 can't be installed" ...grrrr

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 12:10

Brian - that is the fault of the computer rather than the OS.

Jude - what has he done to get rid of W8?

Before upgrading from W8 to W8.1 he MUST perform a Windows Update.

There are quite a number of issues if he wants to install W7 - either standalone or dual boot - particularly potentially voiding the warranty. There are a number of other considerations such as a possible need to Disable Secure boot in BIOS.

He must download W8.1 through Windows Store.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 12:11

Does it display any error codes?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:18

Hi Errol, have given up idea of complete reinstall and dual boot not possible, so have not removed W8 but attempting to upgrade to W8.1. Progress bar shows it is loading but continues to stop indicating W8.1 wasn't installed, retry fails.

That was neighbour posting.

edited

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 Jun 2014 12:18

As eRRolSheep says he needs to update first, as it happens my new baby is a Toshiba took no time at all to upgrade to 8.1 .

Must say I am not a big fan of 8 but like anything new you need to play with it to learn the way to do things.

Unlike most old computers where the supplier would bundle in Works free, you now cannot open old formats like word without buying Office (£100) or downloading aftermarket software from the net.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:24

Thanks Mayfield:)

jude

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 Jun 2014 12:24

A little PS to the above.
I did buy a Lenovo first and that would not download updates, I had two sessions with support, turning off things deleting bits told to download something else from a site and general mucking about, so I sent the darn thing back and told them I did not expect to mess about with a brand new machine like that!

To be fair I got a refund without any trouble.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:28

Thanks Mayfield

Neighbour has had 4 laptops, 2 of which were Acer both had a fault. The others Dell and this Toshiba have the problems with this W8

jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 12:29

Mayfield - you could always use Wordpad. To find it, press the Windows key and type "wordpad".

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 12:36

Acers are pretty good, reliable machines - I rarely have to repair them.

I won't comment on Dell !

Toshiba make excellent solid machines.

Have all W8 updates been performed?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:37

l'm off to work now...will look back later...

jude

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 4 Jun 2014 12:37

yes errol all updates done

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 12:44

You do need to be logged in as Administrator.

Try calling up a Command prompt and typing "net stop wuauserv" followed by Enter and then try again.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 Jun 2014 14:24

Wordpad is very basic and still will not open docs created with word, I tried it you just get scribble, there is also notepad but that's about as much good as a chocolate fire guard :-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Jun 2014 20:38

Depends what format the Word document is in and you can convert between formats.

It will open a .docx file no problem.